Light-O-Rama Forums

daisy chain order

cotrill

They can be in any order.

What controller version do you have? Does unit 3 show up in the HWU? Does the status light go solid on unit 2 when the HWU is used to scan the network? What if you connect unit 2 ONLY to the computer, does it find it then?

Will a sequence play and light lights that are connected to unit 2?

Chuck

Did you make your own network cables?

I've had the wires move into the wrong holes when pushing the plug end onto the wire.

I made my own cable for this controller b/c of the distance, however I have tested the cable, the it works fine. I can control unit 01 alone. Unit 01,03 work together, but when I put the cat 5 cable in the 03 unit to connect it the status light starts flashing. That makes me think maybe I have reset the unit ID somehow. I will try and reset it to 02.

Actually, phone cable is rolled, or to say it another way, the ends are in opposite order. Cat 5 crossover is not rolled, but rather swapping the 1,2 pair with the 3,6 pair.

I also question the cable, if plugging the cable in causes communication to stop.

I will get another cable (it is longer than normal) and re-test. I tested that cable on my network and it I cruised around online just fine, which makes me thing it is not the cable but rater I possibly reset the controller ID.

I believe we are essentially saying the same thing in regard to the cabling, Just using different terms. Industry terms that I am familiar with term it as crossover. Both for phone and network.

Mike,

Dan has stated that resetting the controller DOES NOT clear the ID assignment.

The data on the LOR network is on pins 4 and 5. These pins are not used on a cat 5 cable hooked up to ethernet. So it is possible that these pins are you problem. Unless you have a tester box for network cables it is probably just as easy to chop one end off and reterminate and retest.

Chuck

So, does unit #2 work by itself without any other controller on the network?

If you haven't, can you bring it in next to your computer and test it in the HWU?

If you plug in unit #3 first, then plug in unit #1, does unit #1 respond?

I was thinking there could be a connection issue on the output jack of unit #3.

Just trying look at any possibilities.

I think it was the jack, I tried the outside jack and it worked. So in conclusion, I have a cable with new ends and tried the other jack. I will test more and determine which is was and report back.

ok, I couldn't stand it, I went back out tested and retried each jack and it was the cable. Thanks guys. On another note (see the times of my last post) there are 3 cars out front. I don't even have music broadcast yet.