Light-O-Rama Forums

N2-G4-MP3 wont come out of "init" status

Vince4xmas

Have a N2-G4-MP3 director running just a pixie8.

Used LOR Hub v5.6.0pro to create sd card. Only running one animation show and is set to run whenever show director has power (so, no schedule).

I have tired 2 different kingston sd cards (one from last years show and the other one that came with director).

Upon power up, director remain in "init" state. It had ran prior, but after an hour just froze up. Now, I cannot get anything to run.

The director is powered off a 12vdc power supply.

I am running only one network (reg, 112K, lor/elor).

Thanks

An update.

Issue may be temperature as the show did run early in the morning correctly.

Anyone know the operating temperature range for a director? I have the director/12v power supply and pixie8 all in a small enclosure directly in the sun.

Thanks

I am moving from a G3-MP3 to an N4-G4-MP3 director this year, and your post is among a few that has me worried.  I see on the product page where it says good to -40 degrees but nothing on it or in the manual says what the upper range is.  I assume a general/normal electronics operating range.

But I am a believer in one box per function (in this case the show brains) so my Director is in a water resistant box with the small "Whole House" FM transmitter, powered by the controller nearest it.  It is also on my covered porch and not ever really in direct sunlight.

I guess I should start experimenting with my new Director to see if I have any issues.  I do have the old one to fall back on just in case.

1 hour ago, Vince4xmas said:

An update.

Issue may be temperature as the show did run early in the morning correctly.

Anyone know the operating temperature range for a director? I have the director/12v power supply and pixie8 all in a small enclosure directly in the sun.

Thanks

Direct sun will easily drive the temps well over 100F inside a enclosed space. (one of the reasons I elected to use External w/p power supplies. I noticed my bullets have a tan on the top side of their body when I put them up this year. )

Pixies have a spec (in the back of the book) -30 to 140F,but you have the PSU with its spec and the director with its Are you powering the director from  the Pixies PSU (or via the CAT5 Jp2 on Gen2)?

1 minute ago, hasslerk said:

I am moving from a G3-MP3 to an N4-G4-MP3 director this year, and your post is among a few that has me worried.  I see on the product page where it says good to -40 degrees but nothing on it or in the manual says what the upper range is.  I assume a general/normal electronics operating range.

But I am a believer in one box per function (in this case the show brains) so my Director is in a water resistant box with the small "Whole House" FM transmitter, powered by the controller nearest it.  It is also on my covered porch and not ever really in direct sunlight.

I guess I should start experimenting with my new Director to see if I have any issues.  I do have the old one to fall back on just in case.

A fan (splash proof) Blowing OUT so as to not throw splashes in and a source  inlet for cool(er) air. Don't make the mistake that DEC did on the 20-60. Some fans tried blowing down:It is not nice fighting with mother nature :unsure:

💡 Get yourself a pocket food service thermometer:  mine goes up to 220F

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Standard-Thermometer/dp/B002G9UKTE/ref=asc_df_B002G9UKTE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198068964911&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9354455278301631617&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031753&hvtargid=pla-511514473592&psc=1

(FWIW the big A charges almost 2x what Grainger does. I got mine at my local Smart & Final )

Drill ~ 3/32 hole in your box near the top of the side or front. avoid a location where the probe will touch circuitry

a dab of putty when not in use (if water is an issue)

13 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Don't make the mistake that DEC did on the 20-60.

Wow...time warp.  My first DEC computer I worked on was a PDP-11 in the early 80s, before moving on to VAX 11/780s, and then VAX 9000s.

The director is powered by a small 12vdc 500ma supply as cannot get power from Pixie8. So I have a director, main power supply for pixie8, small plug in power supply for director and Pixie8 in a small box in direct sunlight. I will place a temperature data logger in the box and monitor. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

The director is powered by a small 12vdc 500ma supply as cannot get power from Pixie8. So I have a director, main power supply for pixie8, small plug in power supply for director and Pixie8 in a small box in direct sunlight. I will place a temperature data logger in the box and monitor. Thanks.

If the Pixie PSU is 12V, just tap off that. The Barrel plugs are common to Home Security cams.  Center is +  💡 have a number of single color 12V props, so I use these on a 'break out (R,G,B) pigtail.

I just change the prop by season. (the props use cut apart  mini-lights: 10 bulb =1,  35 = 4)

My Director, also N4-G4 is in a large enclosure, it's the ONLY item in the enclosure, and it is in the DIRECT FLORIDA SUN ALL DAY long, and we have temps into the high 90s {97-98F} at times with heat indexes of 101-107 degrees.    My Director is powered from an older CTB16PC {Gen 2} Controller.  I've never had an issue with it and it's been in that same location now for over a year.   However, depending on where your adapter is located, the adapter itself could be the culprit, if it happens to be where it can get overheated, it could cause that issue.  Since adapters are usually sealed and not vented, they can sometimes overheat, and could cause the issue you describe.  When I used an adapter on an older DC-MP3 Unit when I started out with one of those, I had issues with the Director sometimes not functioning.  When I actually got power from the CTB16PC controller via a cat5 cable, I never had that issue.  So I quit using an adapter with mine.   I haven't used an adapter with the N4-G4, but I'm thinking you may need to find a way to cool your power adapter off.

If you happen to have a CTB16PC, I'd try using it for power via the cat5 via the Regular network jack and see if the problem persists.  My CTB16PC isn't used until display time, but I leave it up and connected to my Director just to power the HC Coro 10W Smart RGB Floods I'm using for landscape and ramp lighting currently using a Pixie16D controller on my Aux C on my N4-G4.   Been running every day with no problems, prior to that I was using the N4-G4 on Aux A with CMB100D 5V Controllers {3} and 6 strands of RGB bulbs before a lightning strike took those CMB100D's out.  But the N4-G4 has never wavered, never not worked in the Florida Direct Sun and Heat we get here.

Other thing is, perhaps your enclosure is too small, and you may need to look into getting a larger enclosure to give the items in there some breathing room.   I used to have both my FM Transmitter and Director in the same box, but ended up moving my FM Transmitter into its own enclosure.  So if you have items in the same enclosure with the N5-G4, Id try separating them into different enclosures, allowing the N4-G4 to be the only unit in its own enclosure.  Sinean FM Transmitter can sometimes generate quite a bit of heat on its own.

Good Luck.

I am going to relocate all components to a large vented bud box and locate out of the direct sunlight. I currently have temperature datalogger logging temperatures every 2 minutes (placed this inside the original closed box). I will look at temp data today to see how hot the current box got.

My temperature data logger shows a peak of 118 degrees F. in control box.

I assume that is excessive.

I plan to relocate components to larger box with vent and out of sun.

51 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

My temperature data logger shows a peak of 118 degrees F. in control box.

I assume that is excessive.

I plan to relocate components to larger box with vent and out of sun.

I wouldn't think that is excessive. Down here its a lot hotter than that in my attic where i have controllers year round. 

Have you asked the HD? Mine is mounted for my golf cart where it runs my mini matrix. That stays in my storage barn and probably just as hot as my attic.

While I was repairing Xbox360s and PlaySation game systems I believe the max tolerance was 130 deg C.I would think most PCBs would be similar.

JR

Edited by dibblejr