Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving sequences from my sequencing computer to the show computer Help???

Box on Rails

So I am starting to move my 2021 Halloween sequences from my sequence computer to my show computer. This is the first year I am doing this and I am having issues with the Motion effects. I am betting there is a new way in S5 to transfer all the sequence info. here is what I did. I copied the .Loredit file and the audio file to the show computer and when it loaded of course it had to create the new preview and then I loaded it up. all non Motion effects played back prefect but the motion effects were missing. I am wondering if there is a bundle type file that will load all the elements of the sequence ( Picture, video, gif, Motion effects) in to a bundle to be transferred to another computer and then unpacked on the new computer? Is the Export LMS/LAS the feature I need? If I don't figure this out I might have to re do all my sequences in the show computer. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Copy the entire LOR data folder contents  including all the subfolders. The basic layout of your folders should be the same. It helps if both machines are on the same OS, eg Win 10, as the folder structure differs with earlier versions. There are files in CommonData and ImportExport which you need. The Preview file is in CommonData. You may need to reattach the audio but hopefully won't.

After you move everything I would run the Sequence Compressor to create all the playback files for the show, which are created in a hidden directory under LORInternal.. This is not required for Sequencer Playback. This includes the intensity files which I guess is what you are missing. You should also do this before show season to prevent delays during the first pass through the show. The show player will do this but as I said there will be delays on the first pass while the files are created.

34 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Copy the entire LOR data folder contents  including all the subfolders. The basic layout of your folders should be the same. It helps if both machines are on the same OS, eg Win 10, as the folder structure differs with earlier versions. There are files in CommonData and ImportExport which you need. The Preview file is in CommonData. You may need to reattach the audio but hopefully won't.

Will I have to move all of my video and animated GIF files Also? They are in a separate folder unrelated to LOR. 

Yes. I would keep them in folders in the LOR folders, myself. Then they will go with everything else. There is also a place to set the path in Sequencer/Sequence/File References.

8 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Yes. I would keep them in folders in the LOR folders, myself. Then they will go with everything else. There is also a place to set the path in Sequencer/Sequence/File References.

Wow Really. I am going to have to do a lot of work just to move 7 sequences for Halloween. None of my sequences are in the LOR directory, I wanted to keep Them organized by year. None of my videos, Picture or GIF Files are in the LOR or Sequence directories. I have never had an issue with just copying the sequence off my sequencing computer and moving them to my show computer. I am quite surprised there isn't a way to capture all the elements used in a sequence and save them as a bundled S5 file. All of my multitrack digital audio editing software has this feature. it will save all the separate video and audio files and plug-in data along with the basic information of the saved song data into a Bundle file. Once it's saved you can move it to any other Computer using the same software where it can be opened up exactly how it was saved on the first computer. The bundle files tend to be rather large because all the data is  saved no compressed but it is an exact copy of the sequence to be used on another computer. I Guess I could add this to my wish list for S5. Thanks Phil

I move between a desktop and a laptop all the time.  But as @PhilMassey says, I keep everything in the LOR folders and just copy the whole directory tree to a thumb drive.  I too track my sequences by season and year, but do so via sub-folders under the LOR sequences folder.  This practice of moving also creates a defacto backup of everything.

• Like 1

Mine is even easier.  All three computers at home that have LOR installed have a mapped network drive of L: which is actually a folder on the D: drive of my file server.  The LOR programs look for the L: drive which is always the same drive so if I make a change from one computer, they all see the change.

• Like 1

i use syncBackFree to clone the folders required between the main PC and show PC.   I use the same to back them up.    The folder structure on both are identical,

Under Sequence menu, you can get a list of any File References.   You can copy paste the list to make a script to copy if you are familiar with that.   You can also change them to a new folder. 

12 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Mine is even easier.  All three computers at home that have LOR installed have a mapped network drive of L: which is actually a folder on the D: drive of my file server.  The LOR programs look for the L: drive which is always the same drive so if I make a change from one computer, they all see the change.

I like this Idea. I will be looking into this method. I have 4 computers that I do sequencing on and having a central common drive would make life so easy. I'll be looking into this after the first of the year 2022. 

4 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

I like this Idea. I will be looking into this method. I have 4 computers that I do sequencing on and having a central common drive would make life so easy. I'll be looking into this after the first of the year 2022. 

One thing to note here.  Do this as a local drive (as in on site) as opposed to something online (like Google Drive or Dropbox).  The reason is that you will be running the show from the common drive, and you don't want your show to crash just because your internet had a hiccup.  I realize that most people don't have a file server running 24x7 as I do, but external network attached storage (NAS) devices are easily available and not all that expensive.  Frequently available in some sort of RAID array (recommended).    And don't forget to back up the NAS regularly.

Using an online site is fine for manually moving files from one computer to another or for off-site backup (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), just don't run your show directly from an online file storage.

• Like 3