Light-O-Rama Forums

Making Cables

cenote

Heard sometime ago, you can make cat5 wires for LOR boards out of 2 pair phone wire. Is this true? Does anybody know if LOR only use 2 pair, and if so, which pair of pins do I connect too? I have a good amount of cat5 blank crimps, and would like to use them. Trying to save money on wire. 1st box from computer is 75'

LOR uses 2 pair of wires. 2 for the actual communications and 2 for power. These would be the center 4 pins on the RJ45.

The difference for the LOR in regards to using phone wire or cat5 wire is very simple. Phone cables are normally wired in a crossover configuration. Cat5 wire is normally wired in a straight through configuration. If your making your own cables and plan to ONLY use them for LOR then, why double up on the wire?

Chuck

So if I understand, I can use 2 pair phone wire, wired straight threw, using center 4 pins, and will act like regular cat5 wire only on LOR boards?

Thanks

cenote wrote:

So if I understand, I can use 2 pair phone wire, wired straight threw, using center 4 pins, and will act like regular cat5 wire only on LOR boards?

Thanks

Just to avoid confusion, I'd wire phone wire as crossover, and then plug them into the smaller jack on the LOR board for the input side (the output uses the rightmost jack for either phone or Cat-5).

Most of my cables are phone cable...

-Tim

The right most jack is the output jack for either type of cable. The left most jack is the phone input, the middle jack is the RJ45 input.

[edit]Yes, the right most jack can have a standard phone cable plugged into it.

-Jeff

I just check the LOR website and the manual for the CTB16 controllers state.

The RJ45 (center and right port) are CAT 5 Cable IN/OUT, Phone cable OUT.
The RJ11 port( left) is for Phone Cable IN.

Chuck