Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Arches Questions

Bob Musil

After more than a decade of decorating using only regular lights, I have decided to dip into the RGB waters this year.  I'm thinking about starting with leaping arches, and I have a couple of questions:

1) Would you recommend using RGB ribbons, bullet pixels, square pixels, or ???  Are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to each?

2) Would it be best to attach the lights to the outside of pvc, or run them through the center of pex or something similar?

3) when making the transition to RGB, are there any other tips you can give, or things that I should consider?

I'm going to order before the end of the sale, so any advice is appreciated.

Lots of ways to do it but it will depend on your DIY capabilities as well.

IMO the easiest way to do it is to get a Cosmic Color Controller with the 50 bullet pixels per string. https://store.lightorama.com/ncccococoiiw.html you can also do the 100 pixels per string for more arches.

Last year I did the 1" pex with the ribbon inside the pex, looked good but to many issues with the ribbons last year. This year I'm doing 8 - 25 pixel arches with 2 CCC (50 pixels per string). You can also go the route of building a pixie 4/8/16 to expand next year. I still used the 1" pex but drilled holes to push the bullet pixels through should work out better if a pixel needs attention. My 25 pixel arches are spaced about 3" and the arches are about 4ft wide and 2ft tall, I did that because my arches are in front of my display and I wanted them lower the the rest of the props.

• Like 1

I use both strips and pixels for arches in my show. I have 4 arches using 2 CC ribbons and 3 arches using pixels on 150 pixel string. My answer to number 1 is Pixels. Number 2 I use pixels attached to 1/2" PEX with these coro arches here https://boscoyostudio.com/product/large-arch/  for Number 3 this late in the season you should start out small with 2 to 4  arches and learn how to use motion effects. in my opinion the S5 software is a must when using pixels. once you start using RGBs you will be hooked. and the conversion will start. My first display was in 2009 with no LED or RGB lights in 2010 I added the 4 CC Ribbon arches. They were so cool. over the next few years I started moving to a total RGB set up and by 2018 I was all RGB with the exception of 4 singing trees and those will slowly be converted to RGB for next years show. The S5 software is all I use for sequencing. I hope this helps and have fun with it.

Kenny Jure

Someone in Ohio I have helped uses thin wall PVC and strips and nodes and the color is fine. Shines right through and gives the disused look.

I will have to find the video he sent me on my iPhone.

JR

I also like the diffused look of having the pixels inside translucent tube.  I am using PEX having found that PVC alters the color towards the warm end of the color spectrum.

I use 1" ID Jason Eva Tubing Semi-Clear (milky white). Looks like this. I cut mine in 8 foot lengths. You could cut the lengths a bit bigger. I placed two L shape elbows 1"on a 2x4 (flipped on its side). I put the tubing over the elbows.  I used two pieces of 20" 2x4 on the side of the arch to help it stand One on each end.

I drilled 50 holes for the pixel bullets . You'll need to measure it out.

I have four pixel arches and four standard mini-light arches. Also, I have four pixel circles inside of pex plus a huge pixel driveway arch. Also, three other pixel based arches that are longer, 1 CCR, and 2 ws2811's. I find that the mini-lights, old and so on, do have their place and unique compared to all the RGB. The nice part about RGB arches as you can twinkle in any color, chase in any color or change colors as they chase, twinkle, shimmer and so on. Using pex is good for things that have supports such as cross supports for the circles. Now the driveway arch is a pain. I used 1 inch pex and simply put, its too soft to hold itself therefore several pieces of gray pvc attached to it plus ropes to keep it as straight as possible. I need to re-design it but strong and see-through don't go along very well.

44 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Now the driveway arch is a pain. I used 1 inch pex and simply put, its too soft to hold itself therefore several pieces of gray pvc attached to it plus ropes to keep it as straight as possible. I need to re-design it but strong and see-through don't go along very well.

How about make the large driveway arch from something like EMT conduit and then hang the PEX an inch or two below the EMT.  The EMT provides the strength and the PEX gives the proper lighting effect.  Having the EMT block the light directly up in not an issue (except maybe when shooting video from a drone at high angles).

On 9/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, TheDucks said:

Suspension PEX Arches? Think  upside down Golden Gate Bridge.

Weed wacker cord 'cables'

I tried that. It didn't work as they sagged.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, k6ccc said:

How about make the large driveway arch from something like EMT conduit and then hang the PEX an inch or two below the EMT.  The EMT provides the strength and the PEX gives the proper lighting effect.  Having the EMT block the light directly up in not an issue (except maybe when shooting video from a drone at high angles).

That's certainly a possibility and a good one. It would look better than what I currently have. Fortunately, at night, you don't need my conglomeration of tubes, only the illuminated pex. Now as for a lightning strike....hmmm.