Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Matrix

hopz28

I have 2 questions about RGB matrix’. I have LOR’s pixie16 controller and 16 X 50ct RGB light strands.
Question 1 Do I use all 16 channels for the matrix or connect all 16 strands and only use 1:channel.

also I’m using Boscoyo Coro matrix 1.5”

Question 2 should I skip a row or fill in every row I can?

The Pixie 16 has 16 "ports" each 1 of those ports can drive up to 170 pixels.

If this is your first endeavor at pixels, my opinion I would use 1 (50ct) string per port so yes 1 string per port for an easier initial setup. I'm sure down the road when you want to utilize closer to 100+ strings per port you will want to reconfigure your set up. You could also do 100 (2-50ct) strings per port so you would only use 8 ports instead of all 16. It just depends on how you want to set it up.

On the pixie 16 controller you will use 16 unit id's so make sure (if you have other controllers) to allow enough room so there are no conflicts (or overlapping id's) with you other controllers. Personally I would put the pixel controller/s on a separate network but it will also depend on what other controllers you have..

Sorry, I can't and not idea about the spacing but it will depend on how close it is to your viewers. Rule of thumb is about 2-3" spacing.

1 hour ago, hopz28 said:

also I’m using Boscoyo Coro matrix 1.5”

Question 2 should I skip a row or fill in every row I can?

More than anything it depends on how far away the viewers will be.  To get an idea, tape together a couple pieces of paper (newspaper pages work well for this) so that it is the size of the proposed matrix.  In the case of 1.5 inch spacing on a 16 x 50 matrix, that would be 2 feet x just over 6 feet.  Put the piece of paper at the proposed location and walk out to where the audience will be.  See how large it would be.  Visualize how the proposed images or text will look.  You can even mark the paper to help get an idea.

One thing to keep in mind is that you only have 16 pixels in the narrow dimension.  You can not put anything but very low resolution graphics or small amounts of text.

The closer the person the closer you want the nodes.

The matrix in the video is 27" x 36" nodes are just over 1/2" spacing. Custom made for me by my great friend Robert. 1200 nodes.

On the contrary to something mentioned above. If using S5 I would connect 2 strings of 50 pixels together. Use the fold in prop def

# of pixels per port 100

# of folds per port 1

This will allow you to use 8 ports for your matrix. This gives you 8 more ports for other props.

IMO and if I was you I would use that 16X50 matrix as a tree and make it a vertical matrix. Reason - common matrix's today are 24X50. When I started they were 12x50. I do not recall a 16X50 matrix

On the other hand the cCR trees were 12X50 and now they are 16X50.

What does all of that mean to you - if you do not know hoe to sequence the matrix, you probably are out of time to learn. If you planned on buying a 16x50 matrix sequence, you would have to convert that from 24x50 to 16x50. You would need to do that with SS with the sup file. It is easy to do but another layer of work.

If you use that as a vertical matrix any of the 16x50 ccr tree sequences will work without problems.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You could always use 12 CCR Matrix sequences in your 16 x 50 pixel matrix. You could buy from Superstar Lights or Wowlights. Plus you could always scroll just words across the Matrix (Screen)<--<< Wowlights calls it a screen. Words to the song your playing scrolls across. I scrolled words from the right to the left (looking at it from the street) or up & down.

Or as was already mentioned by dibblejr you could make a vertical matrix & use 12 CCR sequences or 16 CCR sequences. You can buy 12 or 16 CCR sequences from what I mentioned above plus a few other places. Check vendor section.