Light-O-Rama Forums

PixieLink connection

David Rise

I seem to be missing something here.  I am unable to connect to the pixielink directly from my laptop.  The only way for me to see it, is to connect it to my home network.  What am I missing?

The PixieLink is probably set to DHCP so when it is connected to your home network it is assigned a IP address from your home router. Your computer does not assign IP addresses so you would have to use the PixieLink as a fixed IP address which comes as 192.168.1.206. Make sure your computers network adapter for your ethernet port is set in the same subset: example  192.168.1.1 as it is probably set as DHCP.

Then you can type http://pixielink in your browsers address bar and it should connect.

Edited by Mr. P

• 3 months later...

Does this require a cross over cable to connect directly to my laptop?  When I plug this into my router, I can see it and configure it.  I set the IP to static and made sure it is 192.168.1.206 and saved.  But if I plug it directly into my laptop it cant see it at all.  Won't even ping.

2 minutes ago, David Rise said:

Does this require a cross over cable to connect directly to my laptop?  When I plug this into my router, I can see it and configure it.  I set the IP to static and made sure it is 192.168.1.206 and saved.  But if I plug it directly into my laptop it cant see it at all.  Won't even ping.

Usually. Auto-crossover seems to be a modern Switch (a soho 'router' is 3 or 4 things in one box) thing. or use a spare switch.

BTW your Laptop also needs to be Static as you now have no DHCP server

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Usually. Auto-crossover seems to be a modern Switch (a soho 'router' is 3 or 4 things in one box) thing. or use a spare switch.

BTW your Laptop also needs to be Static as you now have no DHCP server

So if I read this correctly, it does need a cross over cable.  Either that or plug it into a switch.  I just don't want all that data clogging up my home network.

57 minutes ago, David Rise said:

So if I read this correctly, it does need a cross over cable.  Either that or plug it into a switch.  I just don't want all that data clogging up my home network.

Small Switches are cheap (my Fav is Netgear ProSafe, and that is $60 for a 1G 5port).

You don't have a used router with more than 1 RJ45 out? It might even work as a switch without Cable / DSL INPUT

• Like 1

I've heard nothing of a crossover being needed for this device. Don't try it.

I was able to connect to one with my laptop. Just make sure you have your local computer set to talk to the PixieLink.

2 hours ago, David Rise said:

Look at the link status LED on or adjacent to the ethernet ports.  If they light up, then you don't need anything in between.  These days almost EVERYTHING does auto-crossover, and as long as one end of the link will auto crossover, you are good to go.  As TheDucks said, make sure your computer is using static IP.  That is very likely the cause of no ping or connectivity....

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 1:18 PM, David Rise said:

I seem to be missing something here.  I am unable to connect to the pixielink directly from my laptop.  The only way for me to see it, is to connect it to my home network.  What am I missing?

OP, I did a short write up on this within the last month. Sorry I cannot link it to you but you should find it with a search.

JR

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  I got it figured out finally.  I use my laptop on a wireless connection and it would not let me set the ethernet connection to static until I actually plugged a network cable into the port on my network.  Only then did it let me set it to static and enter a IP address.

Now  I am unable to update the  firmware.  I opened hardware utility connect my 485 to port 1 and it can't find the controller.  Ideas?

43 minutes ago, David Rise said:

I use my laptop on a wireless connection and it would not let me set the ethernet connection to static until I actually plugged a network cable into the port on my network.  Only then did it let me set it to static and enter a IP address.

Correct.  Same thing with a wireless connection.  Until there is a connection, you can't set most of the parameters of whatever connection you're talking about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Rise said:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  I got it figured out finally.  I use my laptop on a wireless connection and it would not let me set the ethernet connection to static until I actually plugged a network cable into the port on my network.  Only then did it let me set it to static and enter a IP address.

Now  I am unable to update the  firmware.  I opened hardware utility connect my 485 to port 1 and it can't find the controller.  Ideas?

You can´t see the PixieLink in HU. Just follow the steps in the manual to update the firmware.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:45 AM, JohnnyJ said:

You can´t see the PixieLink in HU. Just follow the steps in the manual to update the firmware.

This is something I wish they would change in the manual. All of the screen shots of the HU show a unit found and a Pixie16. When reading on my laptop I thought it said PixieLink Until I zoomed way in. Maybe add a line saying the HU will not see the PixieLink that is why we pick only one unit is connected or something.