Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Hub Ver. 4.4.16 doesn't know the difference between Midnight {12AM} or Noon {12PM} Always defaults to 12PM {Noon}!

Orville

Well when the time changed I reset my show times for my overnight animation file to illuminate m,y 66' handicap ramp.  Before it ended at 1AM, but with the time change moving ahead 1 hour this was to be set at 12:00AM {Midnight}, well I edited my Show using the Hub's edit feature, which worked fine durung the Fall {Standard} time as I had nothing ending or starting at Midnight {12:00AM} or in-between, so no issue ever was found, but when I tried to Edit my show to change the sequence to a shorter version and end it at 12:00AM {Midnight}, it changed the AM settings to PM.   I caught this error when I inserted the Spring Overnight Ramp Light Show SD Card into my MP3 Director, and insead of showing me "Wait" on the display as it did before the move forward time change, it now was showing that show 1-01 was running, when it should have only been showing wait on the N4-G4 Director display.

So I removed the card and tried another edit and saw the time was NOT at what I had selected for this show to end 12:00AM {Midnight}, it had defaulted to 12PM {Noon}, as after I wrote the show to the SD card, it defaulted to PM, instead of AM.  This ONLY HAPPENS when using or starting a show time between 12:00AM to 12:59AM, these times default to PM every time.   I even tried reformatting the SD Card, writing a test show using the same file again as a BRAND NEW SHOW, NOT an edit, the Hub once again, wrote the time as 12:00PM for end of show.

So I tried my "turn off ALL lights" sequence that runs from 12:00AM-12:01AM, it too, once wrote to the SD Card, either by an edit or BRAND NEW show defaulted again to 12:00PM-12:01PM.

This needs to be corrected, as this could cause folks some issues that may use these times {12:00AM Midnight to 12:59AM} to end or start a show.   Don't know why this wasn't caught before releasing this version {4.4.16} of the Hub.

Currently the ONLY way I can write the shows to the correct time needed for the ramp lights to turn off at midnight {12AM} and the Ramp Lights to run the 1 minute sequence to be sure all lights are turned off at 12:00AM {Midnight} to 12:01AM is to use the Hardware Utility, it is the only other program to write the CORRECT times to an SD Card for an MP3 Director using those time frames.   

Since I'm not using a computer to run any shows, I have no idea if this issue exists in the other options in the Hub to write a show to a Hard Drive for computer run shows.

Folks need to know there is an inerrent bug in the time code area of the Hub for MP3 Directors, since it definitely does not know, or see, any difference between 12PM and 12AM and codes any time between 12:00AM {Midnight} to 12:59AM as 12:00PM {Noon} to 12:59PM.

Edited by Orville
Correct spelling errors and incorrect time stamps due to typo's.

Long term solution (not gonna happen soon):  Get us off our stupid 12 hour clock and use 24 hour time like most of the rest of the world.

56 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Long term solution (not gonna happen soon):  Get us off our stupid 12 hour clock and use 24 hour time like most of the rest of the world.

Totally agree Jim!  I use 24 Hour Military time as many call it, and it is practically foolproof.   No errors in time when 12PM 1200 is Noon and 00:00 is Midnight!   Every job I ever had *ALWAYS* used the 24 hour time format.  And why do they use it?  Because you're much less likely to cause errors in figuring out hours worked and paychecks. 

I'd prefer the MP3 Directors utilized the 24 hour clock, or at least give the end user an option.  Most digital watches today give you a choice, 12 hour or 24 hour format.  Too me the 24 hour clock is a no-brainer, and once you use it, and get accustomed to it, you never go back to a 12 hour clock, at least I never have!

Even the Window Clock doesn't give a 24 hour option, which I find a bit ridiculous!   When are computers and some of our electronic items that use a real time clock going to start offering one?  Should be by end user option to use a 24 hour clock, if that's what the end user would prefer.    

I'd have figured by now, this would have been a no-brainer and already been worked in, but apparently it's more like a no brains thinking of NOT giving us this option.

Sorry if anyone finds that last statement offensive, but really, all this stuff should have a 24 hour clock option incorporated by now!

Edited by Orville
Correct some typos, fix punctuation and spelling errors

For years now I have set all my stop times to 11:59pm since I simply gave up on the whole midnight/noon problem when using my G3-MP3 director.

I also agree with moving to a 24 hour clock.

16 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

For years now I have set all my stop times to 11:59pm since I simply gave up on the whole midnight/noon problem when using my G3-MP3 director.

I also agree with moving to a 24 hour clock.

I've never experienced this issue from the old Original LOR MP3 Director to the newest N4-G4 Director until the Spring Foward time change and redoing the times ny animation ramp lights would be on..  In the Fall it ran my 6 hour sequence just fine from 7PM-1AM.   But when I changed to my 4 hour sequnece and run it from 8pm-12AM is when this BUG in the Hub bit me.   So I had toi go back to using he Hardware Utility to be able to set the correc time, created the same exact show with the same time options I used in the Hub and the 4 hour sequence runs just fine from 8PM-12AM.

The Hub always defaulted to 12PM every time.  I probably would have never caught this error if t wasn't for the fact I know the N4-G4 Director should have been showing "wait" for the show to start, but, instead, after several attempts using the Hub, every time if showed 1-01 on the display, showing me something was amiss, as show 01 should never have been running at 8AM in the morning.   Even though no lights ere lie {which I also found odd, since they should have been on, or so I'd think.

I havent heard from DevMike on this bug yet either.   I sent him a direct PM the same day I posted this here, telling him about this thread and the issue.   But he hasn't weighed in on this yet.   Not sure if he's seen the PM or ?.   I may have to open a help desk ticket before this gets checked into.

But it should and needs to be corrected.   Even if some folks have issues with knowing which 12 o'clock is AM or PM.  But what really surprises me is how many folks get these two wrong{reversed}. LOL

But for now that's what I'll do when it comes to my actual shows, but even so, I'll still have to use the HU over the Hub until this gets fixed, because on some nights {2} when my Holiday show is exteneded, the overnight light show needs to start at Midnight 12AM on those nights, not 12PM Noon!

• Like 1