Light-O-Rama Forums

Help required getting rgb lights to work with a Pixie 8

Tony Shepherd

Hi,

i borrowed a Puxie 8 from a friend with a couple of sets of rgb lights to try.  I got them working with S5 advanced.  I bought the Pixie 8 from him and ordered 8 sets of RGB WS2811 50 string. I also upgraded to a pro licence.   

My new lights have arrived and I plugged them in but can’t get any to work either in the Hardware utility or by playing a sequence.  

The Hardware utility recognises the controller and gets a solid red light but still no lights   I have tried on standard and enhanced network speed although I only have the standard black usb adaptor   

What I cant work out is why the old borrowed lights worked  and the new ones don’t  

The new lights have 3 wires Red Black and Yellow

I have them connected :

red to +

Black to -

Yellow to DT

Any help would be appreciated

many thanks

Tony 

For your new lights can you see the data chip?

You either have the data color order wrong or the strings are backwards.

Dont pay attention to normal electrical color order you need to look at the chip.

JR

add- ensure you have the correct volt pixels.

5v will not work with 12v psu and visa versa 

Edited by dibblejr

Hi JR

thanks for the quick reply.  I checked with the seller and he confirmed the wire colours. However I have just looked closely at the pixel and can see 12v D1 and GND.  I can’t see the wire colours but have stuck a pin in the D1 wire going into the pixel and checked it with a multimeter. I get continuity with the yellow so I’m happy that yellow is data.  I have tried the light both ways but no joy.   Any other ideas?  

Thanks Tony 

The pigtails are Red, Black and Yellow.   

I have pigtails with male and pigtails with female ends and wasn’t sure which to use so was trying with 3 male and 1 female.  I have just rewired the female into the green plug and tried it again.  Now when I plug it in that string lights up white.  However I can’t turn them off or do anything else in the Hradware utility.  Any idea which way they should go. I’m new to rgb and didn’t even know they were directional.  

Thanks

tony 

What color pigtails, what pigtails and 

I will shoot yoi a pm with my cell if you can send me some pics

JR

If you can PM me or text me pics of the pigtail colors on the controller

The light strand ends and the best pic you can get of the chip itself

I sent you my cell phone number

JR

When he sold you the controller did it have pigtails attached?

JR

Hi 

I can send you some pictures on mail (I’m in the UK so text isn’t good). Can you let me have your email address.  The pixie I bought has the green connectors which I have connected my new pigtails to.  When I borrowed the lights thay had their own pigtails.  

Sorry yes it is 12 volt.  

I need a pic of your wires going to the green connectors 

The pigtail end

Uour light string with pigtail and your chip as best as you can

Any other pics will help as well

Or video

JR

There is also one more possibility.

Ensure yoi have screwed up (counter clockwise)

The terminal lug.

As you turn you will see the little plate go down.

If you do not do that you can still get a connection and have lights if the wire is not sandwiched in between the metal plates but you will have bad light results.

Some people fail to realize that. From the factory they are turned all the way up to the top. You have to turn them all the way down, insert wire and then turn up. 

but I will see your wiring and lights 

JR

Also Be sure that the clamp does not have the insulation in the jaw.

Also be sure to use Data, not the Clock terminal (unused for 3 wire nodes) Bk-Yel-skipped-Rd

Thanks to all

i have checked continuity on the plug and agree they are fiddly but they seem ok.   It’s past midnight here so I’m going to bed and will try again tomorrow. Hopefully it will make sense then

cheers

tony 

Thanks to JR’s patience I now have it sorted.  

For those interested it was a combination of different things. Having the lights wired in the right direction, resetting the controller, ensuring all connections were pined correctly and having the right KHz value in the config settings

After years with LOR ac lights this is all new

thanks ahain

Tony

• Like 1