Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB path/yard lights?

djc

I really like the RGB Floodlights for home exterior use. Is anyone aware of a yard and/or path light version of this? I'd like to find programmable RGB path lights for illuminating a sidewalk and programmable RGB flood/spot lights that point up at landscaping in my yard.

I am using several of the LOR 10W dumb RGB floods for up-pointing landscape lighting.  Works very well.  As far as path lighting, it sort of depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  For example if you are trying to light up the ground along the path, your requirements are different than if you are trying to delineate the path.  When I finish a walkway in my front yard, I will have about a 55 foot walkway from the sidewalk to the front porch.  I have changed my mind several times on what I want to do.  Originally I planned to use RGB strips along the raised brick edging such that it illuminated the walkway from either side.  I have also though about something like a string a C9 sized pixels on short poles on either side of the walkway.  That would not light up the walkway very much, but would clearly delineate the path.  One downside to that is it would make it harder to take my trash cans out every week as then would have to cross the walkway - something to think about.  Of course there are hundreds of short post based lights that can be used for lighting up a walkway.  Some could fairly easily be modified for RGB operation.  Still not sure what I am going to do...

I took my old landscape lights and gutted them. I then installed four of the rectangular dumb rgb modules in each light and run them on a CMB24 in stand alone mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I retro fitted my yard lights with RGB strips.  You could use smart strips to get a more diverse pattern.  I keep thinking I'm going to do that one day and run them off of either a Pixie Controller or an ESPIxelstick.  Here are some old pics at about the 13:00 mark.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

I made some homemade post lights that go on top of my Vinyl Fence Posts using sections of Smart Strips.  The wire runs in the top rail and controlled with an ESPixelstick.

I also have the 10W RGB Spots from LOR pointed up around my house that run off a CMB24 Controller.

I even went as far as using Jim's idea and made my own Lights for my house fixtures.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLiJSMCDXY