Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels per port on Pixie devices

dibblejr

4 hours ago, DevMike said:

The limit has always been 99 since the first MP3 directors were created as far as I can tell.  I looked through the old code and see the references to 99 back into S1 - almost 20 years ago.

I'm the one that has worked on that code since S2 (in everything from the Hardware Utility, Simple Show Builder, and now Hub) for every generation since the first.  I have worked on that code for 12 years now and it has never been anything but 99.  That goes all the way back to S2, so even if it was a change (and I doubt that it was and don't see where it ever could have been), it's at least 12 years old and would have included every generation of director produced after the very first one (and that includes the last 3 generations - mDMP3, the uMP3/MP3G3, and all the G4s).

If I had the time, I could go further back and prove that it has always been 99.  I know the technical reasons why it's 99 and those reasons would apply all the way back to the very first MP3 director created.

The 99 limit is NOT something new.  I know it's been that limit for at least the 12 years I have worked on that code, and am 99% sure it has been that way from the beginning. 

Mike- I know this is OT but I recently (two days ago) was linking the manual for the pixie controllers here when I noticed the latest manual states 200 pixels per port, is that a typo or did something change?

Trying to update my brain if its now 200.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Mike- I know this is OT but I recently (two days ago) was linking the manual for the pixie controllers here when I noticed the latest manual states 200 pixels per port, is that a typo or did something change?

Trying to update my brain if its now 200.

JR

JR,

I can tell you that my one and only Pixie 4 controller and LOR version 5.5.16 only allowed setting to 170 pixels.  I even updated the Pixel from firmware 1.04 to version 1.06 in case that made any difference.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

JR,

I can tell you that my one and only Pixie 4 controller and LOR version 5.5.16 only allowed setting to 170 pixels.  I even updated the Pixel from firmware 1.04 to version 1.06 in case that made any difference.

I know about the 170 but was just wandering why the new manual says 200.

After the holiday I may test the 200 with a fold in Prop Def.

I can easily push 170 but that has been the bench Mark for anything pixie

Perhaps the pixielink e1.31 is what they are gearing towards for that. 

That would make perfect sense . I have a couple props 500+ nodes on one port , that would be great once I can do that with my pixies.

JR

I will test that in the next day or so (when I feel like it).  I have plenty of pixels I can test with...

6 hours ago, KYHI said:

Slightly of topic, For a 16x25 Tree - 75' from road which would be better > C9 Bulbs, 12mm Square or Bullet Pixel

Honestly, I would never recommend the 16x25 tree which is only 7-8 feet tall. I would always recommend the 16x50 tree which is 16 feet tall and would be a better view from your distance.

It is also much much easier to find sequences for the 16x50 tree as that is the standard and what most sequence for. There are bigger and smaller trees but you would definitely have to create your own sequences for them.

Ribbons are better for graphics and scenes on a flat tree while the c9 and bullet pixels are good for shapes and swirls on a 180-360 tree.

Edited by Mr. P

75' from closest view and only 25 PX tall. ??  I agree with Mr. P Make it taller (50 Px) or make it 12' from the road .

Fat (C9) bulbs make coarser images. Bullets are bright if aligned to the audience, but 50Px is ~12.5' (4" wire spacing, 3" mounted), but better detail (single source vs ribbons w/3 sources)