Light-O-Rama Forums

Confused a tad with my new Pixie 4

bdwillie

First off, It is working correctly as far as I know, just trying to wrap my head around this new controller, and pixels in general.  

For this year I am VERY new to pixels and am only using one port on my Pixie 4, with a whole whopping 82 or so pixels.  It is also the last controller in my line, number wise.  Here is where I am getting confused, and the more I read, the more confused I become.  Please tell me if My thinking is correct, or if I am wrong.

1) If I set it to be controller 9, Which it currently is, then ONLY port 1 is 9?  Port 2 would be 0A, Port 3 would be 0B, and Port 4 would be 0C?   

2) Using the above logic, then the next physical LOR controller in line numerically could / would be 0D? 

3) If I change the number of pixels per port from default, does that change any of the port ID's that are stated in question 1? I am thinking no? I think this is correct ONLY because I did change the Pixels per port to 100 for port 1 only, but I haven't tried port 2 at all yet

4) Will the Pixie 4 actually control 170 pixels per port (with appropriate power injection as needed) That is the max you can set it to in the Hardware Utility pixie configuration.  I have read in two different places, (not here in the LOR forums) that the max is 100 per port for the Pixie 4

I am afraid to just go out and experiment right now as the show is up and running and I don't want to mess it up!

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the long question filled post.

Edited by bdwillie
Spelling error

40 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

1) If I set it to be controller 9, Which it currently is, then ONLY port 1 is 9?  Port 2 would be 0A, Port 3 would be 0B, and Port 4 would be 0C? 

Correct

41 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

2) Using the above logic, then the next physical LOR controller in line numerically could / would be 0D? 

Correct.

3) If I change the number of pixels per port from default, does that change any of the port ID's that are stated in question 1? I am thinking no?

Correct

4) Will the Pixie 4 actually control 170 pixels per port (with appropriate power injection as needed)

As I understand it, yes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

First off, It is working correctly as far as I know, just trying to wrap my head around this new controller, and pixels in general.  

For this year I am VERY new to pixels and am only using one port on my Pixie 4, with a whole whopping 82 or so pixels.  It is also the last controller in my line, number wise.  Here is where I am getting confused, and the more I read, the more confused I become.  Please tell me if My thinking is correct, or if I am wrong.

3) If I change the number of pixels per port from default, does that change any of the port ID's that are stated in question 1? I am thinking no? I think this is correct ONLY because I did change the Pixels per port to 100 for port 1 only, but I haven't tried port 2 at all yet

4) Will the Pixie 4 actually control 170 pixels per port (with appropriate power injection as needed) That is the max you can set it to in the Hardware Utility pixie configuration.  I have read in two different places, (not here in the LOR forums) that the max is 100 per port for the Pixie 4

I am afraid to just go out and experiment right now as the show is up and running and I don't want to mess it up!

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the long question filled post.

1)Yes.  Pixies count ID in Hex

2) Allowable controller. with Advanced or Pro, there is no need to keep the ID contiguous, you have plenty. With lower levels, you are stuck with the first n , as licensed. Also Cable order can be any order

3) ID per port, not Pix.

4) Remember, the Internet never expires. 100 NODES was an older FW limit.  Pixie 2 and 4 can do things when there are 50 nodes that the bigger ones can't

• Like 1

Another quick question.

In S5 when adding the Pixie 4 to a preview, the most allowable pixels per port is 100, not 170.  How do I fix that?

Simple.  Don't add a controller - Add a prop.  Build your preview as if the only thing that matters is the props - which is true.   Oh yea, the props have some channel assignments (which have no relationship to what the controllers are - you don't specify the controller type at all in the channel assignments).  The channel assignments for a prop don't know or care what device will respond to the commands.

As far as I am concerned, there is never a need to "add a controller".  Always add props.

Edited by k6ccc

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Simple.  Don't add a controller - Add a prop.  Build your preview as if the only thing that matters is the props - which is true.   Oh yea, the props have some channel assignments (which have no relationship to what the controllers are - you don't specify the controller type at all in the channel assignments).  The channel assignments for a prop don't know or care what device will respond to the commands.

As far as I am concerned, there is never a need to "add a controller".  Always add props.

Cool!  Thanks!