Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx and wireless

Glennz

My question is I have a laptop that I would like to use wirelessly to control my rgb lights. I am using a SAN controller and have sucessfull control over it via my laptop wirelessly through my router.  In LOR network setup under dmx i set up universe 1, use e1.31, entered the IP of the SAN device, port 5568 but when I try sequence editor to control the lights I get nothing. Any ideas? Is the wireless router doing something different when it sees LOR rather then me using a browser/IP to address the SAN board?

Running E1.31 over WIFI is not recommended. Imagine someone in your house watching a YouTube video over WIFI and suddenly your display is lagging.

Matt

I will somewhat disagree with Matt.  E1.31 CAN be run just fine over WiFi - BUT run it over a totally separate WiFi from your normal house WiFi - not just a different SSID on the same WiFi, but separate WiFi on different channels.  I have done it for testing, but I don't recommend it for production unless absolutely necessary.  In your case it sounds like you want the show computer operating over WiFi as opposed to one or more E1.31 controllers operating over WiFi.  That really sounds like a good way to have problems with your show.  If you really want to do that, I would recommend an alternate.  Use the laptop over WiFi to remotely control (TeamViewer, VNC, AnyDesk, etc) your show computer and then have the show computer running wired to your E1.31 controllers.  That way if the WiFi craps out, the show continues to run properly.

As for it not working, do you have the Comm Listener running?

I guess I need more details. This a dedicated wireless network and I only have 50 rgb's. I used to have 45k lights but sold my house and travel the country in my rv. Just throwing some automated super star sequences together. The comm listener seems to be working. It gets no errors when it connects to the universe and IP on start up. In Sequence Editor should the channels be showing up as dmx or LOR? They are defaulted to LOR. I changed a few the dmx but still did not work. 

When you set up your pixels in the SE the RGB Channel Settings should be Device Type DMX, Network Universe number, Unit, blank and Circuit, the channel number, first pixel 1,2,and 3, 2nd pixel 4, 5 and 6 and so on.

• This topic was locked and unlocked