Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding Pixel Star to MegaTree

Raine

I am currently running 2 of the 16x50 smart pixel trees with the S5 Pro license, using the red hs-485 usb connection on an enhanced network. I want to add an additional 400 pixels in the form of 8 smart pixel arches. This would total 2000 pixels. Question 1: Will my network handle this?
Also, I would like to purchase 2 of the 270 pixel stars from holiday coro to put on top of these mega trees. These come each with an AlphaPix 4 to control them.
Question 2: Do I need to run these on E1.31, or can they just daisy chain into the Pixie16s the trees are run by?

The general rule of thumb for a 1000K Enhanced LOR network is about 2400 pixels.  About half that on a 500K ELOR network.

1 hour ago, Raine said:

Question 2: Do I need to run these on E1.31, or can they just daisy chain into the Pixie16s the trees are run by?

The AlphaPix controllers need to be on E1.31

Thank you Jim for the information. I think it's probably time to start learning about E1.31 for next year. I am completely new to that protocol.

55 minutes ago, Raine said:

Thank you Jim for the information. I think it's probably time to start learning about E1.31 for next year. I am completely new to that protocol.

E1.31 is just Ethernet (at the cable). Same thing most company computers use (and us old timers). Use a Different color CAT5 for LOR and Ethernet so you don't mix up the plugs. Smoke can happen.

The rest is DMX protocol (LOR controllers can do the DMX over their RS485 ) You do need separate USB adapters if you run both LOR and DMX (it can't be on the same cable)