Light-O-Rama Forums

2021 block party

~DOC~

So I have two neighbors who are wanting to join me. Couple questions and request cause I keep going down that dark rabbit hole. Good thing I have a year. 

1. What’s the best way to do the three houses. Just throw all three house in a new preview? 

2. Both neighbors like the pixels. But one of them is on the other side of the street. So how can I jump the road. 

3. Any and all suggestion recommendations are welcomed cause I am by far not a seasoned veteran like some of you. 

With our G4 MP3 Directors, one port can be used to sync up with additional G4 MP3 Directors. So if each yard has a G4 MP3 Director, then you can use our Light Linkers to send the sync pulse wirelessly. No wires have to cross the road.

Matt

The other way is if you are running all (or most) via E1.31, there are Ethernet linking radios available.  That let's you not have to buy a several Directors (or if you prefer (or need to) to run the show from a computer).

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

With our G4 MP3 Directors, one port can be used to sync up with additional G4 MP3 Directors. So if each yard has a G4 MP3 Director, then you can use our Light Linkers to send the sync pulse wirelessly. No wires have to cross the road.

Matt

Since I need to only jump the road once can you not get away with one director or does everyone have to be on the director?

if more than one is required can you get away with one director running one side of street (me) and the other running the other (neighbors). 

What would be the advantages of each person having their own director? Can you sequence each house individually? What article would show me this process.

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The other way is if you are running all (or most) via E1.31, there are Ethernet linking radios available.  That let's you not have to buy a several Directors (or if you prefer (or need to) to run the show from a computer).

I kind like running by a pc. LOR does not run E1.31. Or does it. (Going to have to go read) I have a substantial investment in LOR products and not really wanting to change. Pretty pleased. I thought about just running a cat5/6 over through the large trees. He is directly in front of me. Just trying to determine the best and most economical way to do this. It’s not easy for someone to plop down 1000 dollars just to put lights up. They’re interested but that would just scare them away. I was looking at the pixie 8 package. That would enable them to outline the house. Small baby steps. We’re the rare crazy people that drop big coin on what we like to do......

Director(s) are all or none.  By that I mean that if you use a Director and ELLs to get across the street, then the whole show must be controlled by Directors.  If you need or want to control the show from a computer, you can not use the dual Directors option.  If you do go with the Directors option, the two houses that are next door to each other only need one Director.  As far as using a third Director and ELL set for the two houses next door to each other, another Director and ELL is a very expensive way to eliminate one piece of Cat-5 running between the houses (more than one if you have multiple LOR networks).

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Director(s) are all or none.  By that I mean that if you use a Director and ELLs to get across the street, then the whole show must be controlled by Directors.  If you need or want to control the show from a computer, you can not use the dual Directors option.  If you do go with the Directors option, the two houses that are next door to each other only need one Director.  As far as using a third Director and ELL set for the two houses next door to each other, another Director and ELL is a very expensive way to eliminate one piece of Cat-5 running between the houses (more than one if you have multiple LOR networks).

Speaking of networks that likely will make me have to keep an eye on how many pixels my neighbors are running. Maybe requiring a couple cat 5 / 6 wires to go over ( couple networks)

Yes, LOR supports E1.31 just fine - I have over 60K channels of E1.31 in my Christmas show.  I'm with you, I have no desire to use a Director - way too limiting.

If you can get a cable across the street (tree top to tree top for example), that makes it easy.  Note that your city may have an issue with that.  If you need to do it wirelessly, simply using a pair of ELLs won't work because the ELLs can't handle the speed or Enhanced networking required by pixels.  If you do it via E1.31 using wireless, then you could use PixCon 16 controllers instead of Pixie or you could use the PixieLink (once that is released) with Pixie controllers.

As far as network capacity, figure 2400 pixels over a 1000K ELOR network or half that at 500K.  If pixel count is an issue, keep the neighbor on their own network so you are only transporting the needed data across the street.

• Thanks 1

I see it does work with E1.31 ugh but just reading that is starting to confuse me. I did mention that deep rabbit hole right....

17 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, LOR supports E1.31 just fine - I have over 60K channels of E1.31 in my Christmas show.  I'm with you, I have no desire to use a Director - way too limiting.

If you can get a cable across the street (tree top to tree top for example), that makes it easy.  Note that your city may have an issue with that.  If you need to do it wirelessly, simply using a pair of ELLs won't work because the ELLs can't handle the speed or Enhanced networking required by pixels.  If you do it via E1.31 using wireless, then you could use PixCon 16 controllers instead of Pixie or you could use the PixieLink (once that is released) with Pixie controllers.

As far as network capacity, figure 2400 pixels over a 1000K ELOR network or half that at 500K.  If pixel count is an issue, keep the neighbor on their own network so you are only transporting the needed data across the street.

Pixie link just read that.... and it’s not available? What....UGH yea the trees on both sides of road actually touch in the middle. 

I think the PixieLink is coming soon.  However with the trees coming together over the road, it should not be all that hard to run a cable or two over the street.  Remember that you can go 4,000 feet on a RS-485 network so that should be plenty.  Using Cat-5 is by far the easiest and least expensive route.  That also means that you can run traditional controllers or Pixie controllers.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

E1.31 is not all that hard.  You get to learn a few things about networking however.

Your full of knowledge thank you. I will read over this info for a few and come back for more questions. I found my self in a spot and I am learning as I go. This was my first year with pixels 2nd year with LOR and well I just went all pixels.  I am not an expert by any means.

Next question would you happen to know the best way to make preview. So that you can sequence three or more future homes.

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I think the PixieLink is coming soon.  However with the trees coming together over the road, it should not be all that hard to run a cable or two over the street.  Remember that you can go 4,000 feet on a RS-485 network so that should be plenty.  Using Cat-5 is by far the easiest and least expensive route.  That also means that you can run traditional controllers or Pixie controllers.

I figured there be some that want to join but can’t put the cash out that I did. I figured  I could use the AC controllers for them.  Even split it between neighbors. 8 channels for one the other 8 for the other neighbor. That way I am not leaving people out. 

If you can run cable over the street - and it sounds like you will be able to - that is the easiest and avoids lots of new learning!

3 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Next question would you happen to know the best way to make preview. So that you can sequence three or more future homes.

Short answer would likely be make one preview with all three houses and then multiple views for various segments.

2 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If you can run cable over the street - and it sounds like you will be able to - that is the easiest and avoids lots of new learning!

Short answer would likely be make one preview with all three houses and then multiple views for various segments.

What do you mean by multiple views for various segments?

In the sequencing grid, you can create as many views as you want.  You could for example create a view that only has each house, or maybe a view that only has the lights on the roofline of all three houses.  De-clutters your sequencing grid.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

In the sequencing grid, you can create as many views as you want.  You could for example create a view that only has each house, or maybe a view that only has the lights on the roofline of all three houses.  De-clutters your sequencing grid.

Can you point me in the direction of a video and or literature this? I am looking through S5 and not quite seeing this.

Open up the LOR Help and search for Views.  First item.  Start reading.

Edited by k6ccc
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Open up the LOR Help and search for Views.  First item.  Start reading.

Got it I am a slow reader so be a while. Thanks