Light-O-Rama Forums

SD Cards for Directors

BillB

There are a lot of SD cards on the market. I keep hearing on other posts that Kingston are the best for the Directors. But I bought a load of Lexars from Staples (they didn't have Kingston). Every night the show runs for about 1-2 hours and then just hangs (N4-G4-MP3 Director, latest firmware upgrade, 32GB class-10 Lexar SD card). So I copied the entire Lexar SD card onto a Kingston SD card. YUP. Show ran without a hitch. 

Why? I even see if you go on LORs site (accessories), that they show a picture of a Lexar card, but state that brand will vary based on availability. So it doesn't appear that LOR is tied to Kingston.  If that is so, why did swapping to a Kingston solve the problem? Do I just have a bad Lexar?

I'm thinking I should buy some more Kingston cards.

Have you run a Drive check on that card using Windows?

Another test (backup your show elsewhere), is to write a HUGE (video) file to the card. One that exceeds what your show uses.

Lexar is a known (decent)  brand to me. But there are counterfeits that also exaggerate the size. The huge file test will run off the end of the real size and either error or corrupt

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I totally reformatted to FAT32 (full format, not quick) a new 32 GB Lexar SD card. Then created a new show on it. Ran it last 2 nights ago.

The show runs 30 minutes. It ran for about 2-1/2 hours with no problems. Then it shut down. I had to pop the card out and in. Ran the rest of the night.

Copied the card to a Kingston SD card. Ran it last night. It ran all night with no problems.

Still looks like a Lexar issue. I am switching to all Kingston cards.

We suggest Kingston Technology 4GB to 32GB SDHC class 4 (or higher) memory cards because they're rated to work at -20 degrees. These can typically be found at your big-box stores or you can do a quick Internet search for them.  

https://amzn.to/372QRR5
https://amzn.to/373yriX

SD or SDHC memory cards should be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.  

SDXC memory cards (typically 64GB and higher) will not work unless the device is partitioned so the first partition is formatted as FAT32. 

We do NOT recommend any SanDisk SDHC memory cards. Many of our customers have reported issues making them work in Light-O-Rama ShowTime Directors.

We do NOT recommend using class 2 memory cards.  Look for a 2 with a 'C' around it.  These are very slow cards and most have trouble keeping up with the demands from Light-O-Rama.

Stay away from Class 2 cards!

Additionally:

We have been getting MANY reports of SD cards made by other manufactures also having issues this year.  Some like the OP have cards that will work and then randomly just STOP working.  Or reset in the middle of a show.  Or work for days and then get stuck INITing (solid red on a mini director).

There are only a few mfg of SD cards in the world.    Sandisk is one, Kingston is another.  There are possibly a few others.  EVERYONE ELSE just buys cards from one of these mfgs and then sticks their name on them.  Most frustrating is that you may have purchased "Best By Mike" SD cards last year and they worked great.  You purchase another "Best By Mike" SD this year and it does nothing but give you fits.  The first one may have been made by Kingston, the second by someone else - and "Best By Mike" bought from whichever one was cheaper (or available).

I am NOT saying that Kingston is the best SD card and Sandisk is crow.  Sandisk makes quality SD cards.  We have worked extensively with Sandisk to get their cards to work with our directors.  For whatever reason the two of them don't like each other.  

Do you know or could you explain why some cards like Kingston work so well and other don't? I mean is there a certain technology or circuitry that Kingston uses that others don't that make theirs more compatible? Just curious.

6 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Do you know or could you explain why some cards like Kingston work so well and other don't? I mean is there a certain technology or circuitry that Kingston uses that others don't that make theirs more compatible? Just curious.

If I remember right that was discussed a few years ago but I dont recall the reason.

It was about the same time my PNYs which were always faithful stopped working and I had to switch to Kingston.

JR