Light-O-Rama Forums

New Here - Questions on Pixel Tree vs Controller version

dnachristen

15 minutes ago, Allen555 said:

What is everyone using for software to run the light?  I have seen x-lights and light o rama

The tree major softwares to run synchronized light shows are Light-O-Rama, xLight, and Vixen. There are others too that are specialized for specific applications.  I have never even seen Vixen, and never used xLights, but have been running LOR since 2011.  Highly recommended.

16 minutes ago, Allen555 said:

What is everyone using for software to run the light?  I have seen x-lights and light o rama

Well, these are the LOR forums.

Xlights is free, but you can download and try LOR in demo mode. Its fully functional but won't control actual lights without a license.

Personally I prefer LOR.

I have never had any desire to move over to xLights. 

BTW, when it comes to support from the company, damn near no one on the planet is as good as LOR.  A lot to be said for that.

Depends more on the number of pixels and complexity of your sequencing then the number of controllers. Normally 2400 pixels on a high speed enhanced network so whether you can get that on one controller or four.

Edited by Mr. P

LOR RGB pixel controllers can be daisy chained up to the limit of about 2400 pixels per enhanced HS network. Then you need to start a second parallel network with  a second red USB RS485 adaptor for an additional 2400 additional pixels, and so on. Each pixel uses three channels. A pixie 4 has four ports with a max of about 100 pixels per port (without power injection which adds complexity) so you can do the math. You may get more or less depending of many factors such as lead in length. That is why you should build and test early.

If you were to go with the Pixcon 16 and the  E1.31 option, you would have the choice of using actual Ethernet to carry the traffic which cannot be daisy chained.

There are pros and cons to each.