Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR USB adaptor

musicman130

I saw that the USB adaptor has 2 outputs, so I ran 2 USB cables from the room where the computer is to the outside of the house. If I plug 1 cable into each side of the adaptor, it will control all the boxes with no problem. correct?

I just want to make sure that it's designed to do this.

Thanks,

Rob

I assume you are running one USB cable from the computer to the USB485B and then two cables from the USB485B to the outside of the house. Then you plan to connect each of these cables to two different, seperated controllers? If so, then yes you can do it, but I am not sure why you want to do it that way rather than daisy chain all the controllers together. Check this diagram on the LOR site http://www.lightorama.com/LOR_Sophisticated.html but rather than using the wireless data transcievers, you plan to just plug the other USB cable into a seperate daisy chain of controllers?

I run a multi-house display. The computer running LOR is in the garage, which is in the front of our house on the west side. I have several controllers around the lawn, which is east of the garage, and one controller on the west side with some lights on a tree.

I also have an ELL on the west side to connect to the house across the street. The LOR network also includes houses on both sides of our house.

The multi-port USB-RS485 adapter is the perfect thing to use in my situation. I connect two CAT5 cables to it, one for the controllers in the East, and one for the controllers in the West.

An RS485 network should always be a single line, with no "Y's". There is nothing, however, that says the computer has to be on the end of the RS485 network. It will work just as well if it's in the middle.

If your layout won't work well as a single line, then you can use an RS485 network repeater, which will make your single RS485 network into two RS485 networks.

The reason I want to use 2 separate ethernet cables is because I have 1 controller on the roof on the L side of the house, the rest are on the R side of the house in the lawn area. I would rather not run a cable up to the roof and then all the way across the house down to the next controller. The house is a ranch style house, so it is rather long. The computer is in the house, so it will be 1 USB adaptor inside and then a long run of ethernet out of the house to each of the controllers, meaning 2 ethernet cords from inside, 1 going to the one on the roof and 1 going out to the first box.

As far as the "network" does this mean I have to do something different then just running an ethernet cable from the USB to the 1 controller and then the other side of it run it to the rest of them? I thought since it has 2 outputs that I could just run the cords to the controllers and it wouldn't matter. If I have to do something more then to just run the cables, please let me know.

Any questions, comments, suggestions are appreciated. Lights have started to go up already and are going to continue tomorrow (weather permitting)

Thanks

Rob