Light-O-Rama Forums

Odd USB485 & Regular vs Enhanced Network Issues

c7williams

So I’m running 6 networks. 5 are enhanced with the red HS adapter and 1 is regular with the black adapter. I like to run a setup sequence while setting up which just has most of the lights on. I use the control lights feature in S5 sequencer to start that 10 minute sequence and repeat it until I come in for the night and uncheck control lights. 

Well every night I struggle with my controllers on the regular network to come on. Sometimes I gotta go out to my first controller and unplug and replug in the cable, sometimes I have to remove the USB adapter from laptop and plug back in. Sometimes I have to uncheck the networks under the control lights tab and re check among a few other things. Usually within the first few mins something works and they all turn on. 

But... if I have the regular network set to enhanced then boom no issues. Red adapter or black no issues as long as it’s enhanced. But when it’s not enhanced and on slow speed (56k or whatever) it always give me issues. Doesn’t matter black adapter or red or whatever. 

The only reason I’m running it on slow speed is because of the trigger devices. They are new this year so I have to use the slower speed and not enhanced. I’ve always used enhanced until this year. 

anyone else experience this? Maybe a small bug within the control lights function or sequencer when controlling lights on the slower network speeds? 

9 minutes ago, c7williams said:

So I’m running 6 networks. 5 are enhanced with the red HS adapter and 1 is regular with the black adapter. I like to run a setup sequence while setting up which just has most of the lights on. I use the control lights feature in S5 sequencer to start that 10 minute sequence and repeat it until I come in for the night and uncheck control lights. 

Well every night I struggle with my controllers on the regular network to come on. Sometimes I gotta go out to my first controller and unplug and replug in the cable, sometimes I have to remove the USB adapter from laptop and plug back in. Sometimes I have to uncheck the networks under the control lights tab and re check among a few other things. Usually within the first few mins something works and they all turn on. 

But... if I have the regular network set to enhanced then boom no issues. Red adapter or black no issues as long as it’s enhanced. But when it’s not enhanced and on slow speed (56k or whatever) it always give me issues. Doesn’t matter black adapter or red or whatever. 

The only reason I’m running it on slow speed is because of the trigger devices. They are new this year so I have to use the slower speed and not enhanced. I’ve always used enhanced until this year. 

anyone else experience this? Maybe a small bug within the control lights function or sequencer when controlling lights on the slower network speeds? 

My understanding is speed is not an big issue, but you can not have enhanced set if you use triggers.  Take the speed up to the Max your controllers will allow

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

My understanding is speed is not an big issue, but you can not have enhanced set if you use triggers.  Take the speed up to the Max your controllers will allow

Oh so I can have the speed at 500k but not enhanced and the triggers will still work? 

In that case, it depends on the speed rating of the controller that is connected to - but it does have to be non-enhanced.

On 11/17/2020 at 1:24 AM, k6ccc said:

In that case, it depends on the speed rating of the controller that is connected to - but it does have to be non-enhanced.

Will have to play with it and see. My controller can handle 500k speeds. I will try 500k and non enhanced and see how that works. Thanks for hour help buddy 

Be advised that, although LOR doesn't talk about this much, it very well could be that you need to have a terminator at the end (last controller) in your network. A terminator is a 120-ohm resistor between pins 4 & 5 on the Cat5e cable. Easy to make one if you have some old cable pieces laying around. Just cut a short end (2-3 inches long) that still has the connector attached, remove outer jacket for about 1/2 inch, strip the blue and blue-white insulation a bit and add a 120 ohm resistor between these. A little solder, a little electrical tape, and you have a terminator. Plug this in to the open Cat5e cable socket and you're done. I have had network issues lately and this simple trick solved them.

Technically, all networks should be terminated. But LOR networks seem to do quite well without this most of the time. Termination is a quick fix and it just might help.

54 minutes ago, BillB said:

Be advised that, although LOR doesn't talk about this much, it very well could be that you need to have a terminator at the end (last controller) in your network. A terminator is a 120-ohm resistor between pins 4 & 5 on the Cat5e cable. Easy to make one if you have some old cable pieces laying around. Just cut a short end (2-3 inches long) that still has the connector attached, remove outer jacket for about 1/2 inch, strip the blue and blue-white insulation a bit and add a 120 ohm resistor between these. A little solder, a little electrical tape, and you have a terminator. Plug this in to the open Cat5e cable socket and you're done. I have had network issues lately and this simple trick solved them.

Technically, all networks should be terminated. But LOR networks seem to do quite well without this most of the time. Termination is a quick fix and it just might help.

Many of the 2nd gen Pixies now have a Jumper to do this. Check the manual for YOUR version of the board at the end.

• The topic was locked