Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Floods

FallsSD

Can I use an ELL with the RGB 10w floods?  If not is there any type of data cable that I can use for about a 1000ft run?  I was told that cat5 can only go about 300ft.

Thank you 

RS-485 (what LOR networking uses over Cat-5 cable) can go 4,000 feet.  Ethernet LAN over Cat-5 cable is limited to 100 meters.  But we are not using Ethernet unless you are using E1.31.

ELLs are limited to 115K speed and non-Enhanced LOR networking.  115K speed is good for about 900 channels, so unless you are trying to run more channels than that, or you need ELOR, you should be good to go.

2 hours ago, FallsSD said:

Can I use an ELL with the RGB 10w floods?  If not is there any type of data cable that I can use for about a 1000ft run?  I was told that cat5 can only go about 300ft.

Thank you 

Dumb RGB (like your floods) or AC controllers can run on CAT5 or ELL  . 💡 Just don't tie the CAT5 to the power cord  (close couple) for more than a couple feet. EMI  (electrical noise)

The CMB24 does not come with internal Termination, so if you are running a long run of rs485, you might terminate pins 4+5 with a 120 ohm resistor on the last controller (a good practice).

Jim pointed you, you can add more DUMB stuff. If you add Pixies, then you rule out using ELL ON THE SAME NETWORK

• The topic was locked