Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC Controller will not shut off all lights

Kapkirk

Hi, I have a question for you all, We have a Generation 3 residential controller that will not shut off all lights, they just go real dim, after a show and in hardware utility too when commanded to all off. I read through a lot of the posts for similar so we tried putting a incandescent light build 100 watts on one of the channels and it didn't help. We swapped out the controller and the same thing is happening so I would guess it is not the controller but something I have missed.

My first question is do we need to put an incandescent bulb (snubber) on each channel? While troubleshooting this problem I only put 1 incandescent light bulb on 1 channel. The controller is controlling a very small amount of LED light strings and I am wondering if I need or should've put more snubbers, one for each channel.

Appreciate any help you can suggest, We have put in a help ticket but I am thinking LOR will take a little time as busy as they must be this time of year, so I am hoping someone has more information on this problem. Thanks, Keith

Yes, put a snubber on each channel.  Although the Gen-3 controller are better at handling small LED strings than the older controllers, there are still limits.  Each channel is independent as far as needing snubbing.

Just remembered that only half the normal lights are connected to this controller, we are in the middle of set up as a lot of you are also and I just realized that half the lights are still to be installed and hooked up. I thought that may be relevant and wanted to add this. We may be able to hang and add the remainder of this controllers lights tomorrow, but tropical storm ETA just changed again and we are back in the cone so I am not so sure.

I have dodged rain all day long today and my normal set up is getting longer.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, put a snubber on each channel.  Although the Gen-3 controller are better at handling small LED strings than the older controllers, there are still limits.  Each channel is independent as far as needing snubbing.

Just saw your answer, Thanks I will go try that, appreciate it Jim.

See how it looks with all the lights hooked up.  The more lights, the less likelyhood of needing snubbers.

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

See how it looks with all the lights hooked up.  The more lights, the less likelyhood of needing snubbers.

Yes appreciate that, was just over with our friends and we were discussing that, If the storm cooperates we can be all lit up on that controller tomorrow, but mother nature is going to control that.

Keith

38 minutes ago, rcktpwrd said:

If you are using Gen3 controllers also set the dimming curves to LED in the hardware utility. 

Yes all our controllers are G3, I don't think I have ever seen that, where is it in the HU?

As soon as the dang Hurricane ETA has passed tomorrow we are going to hang and install the remainder of the lights controlled by that controller, Jim thinks that will probably solve our issue even without snubbers, right now there is very little watts on that controller. I am thinking he is right cause we have never had this issue until this year, and because of the weather we have changed our setup routine, and powered up a controller before having all the lights hung.

Thanks, Keith

In the Hardware Utility there is a Config button at the bottom. I don't recall the specifics of how to change the curve but it was easy to do... 

1 hour ago, rcktpwrd said:

In the Hardware Utility there is a Config button at the bottom. I don't recall the specifics of how to change the curve but it was easy to do... 

After you get to the Config screen: Click Advanced  Make changes to individual channels or tick the All box (after setting the mode there)

• Thanks 1

Not to hijack this post but I've read up a little bit on snubbers and have a question. I just picked up two gin to controllers and have noticed six of the channels are not fading properly compared to my G3 controllers. Some people use old night lights for snubbers and some people say you can use a Glade plugin for the older controllers to help with the dimming of LED. but I haven't seen anything on where exactly to place it. do you place the Glade plugin or night light after the string of lights on the spot wire with a vampire plug or if you're using a Glade plugin do you use it at the end of the light string itself?. I read that the Glade plugins only used 2.1 Watts. 

Just curious where I should put the snubber.

17 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Not to hijack this post but I've read up a little bit on snubbers and have a question. I just picked up two gin to controllers and have noticed six of the channels are not fading properly compared to my G3 controllers. Some people use old night lights for snubbers and some people say you can use a Glade plugin for the older controllers to help with the dimming of LED. but I haven't seen anything on where exactly to place it. do you place the Glade plugin or night light after the string of lights on the spot wire with a vampire plug or if you're using a Glade plugin do you use it at the end of the light string itself?. I read that the Glade plugins only used 2.1 Watts. 

Just curious where I should put the snubber.

Where it is protected.  It just provides a minimum load (which would take100's of LEDs / port to reach), so either place

• Like 1

Just an update for all who may need this in future. Jim you were spot on.

We plugged in the remainder of the lights the controller normally controls and we are back to normal, no snubbers needed and all lights are turning off like normal. I learned something today, I will not power up a controller until all  my lights are connected, don't think it hurts anything but now I know.

Thank You to all who contributed suggestions and advice, enough lights connected no snubbers needed.

Keith

• Like 1