Light-O-Rama Forums

Movie Help?

griswald

Hello,

I converted a .mp4. file to .avi for inclusion as a movie effect in one of my sequences. It works great when I play it on my design laptop, however, when I copied everything over to the laptop that runs the actual show, I get an error "Unable to read frames from this file" when I try to launch it. Both laptops have the same version of Sequencer v5.3.6.

Initially, I thought there was something wrong with the show laptop, but when I try to change the path of the movie to somewhere else on my design laptop, I get the same error. When I put it back to the original path, it works. I tried faking simulating the same working path on the show laptop, but that doesn't work either. I'd really like to get this working so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

49 minutes ago, griswald said:

Hello,

I converted a .mp4. file to .avi for inclusion as a movie effect in one of my sequences. It works great when I play it on my design laptop, however, when I copied everything over to the laptop that runs the actual show, I get an error "Unable to read frames from this file" when I try to launch it. Both laptops have the same version of Sequencer v5.3.6.

Initially, I thought there was something wrong with the show laptop, but when I try to change the path of the movie to somewhere else on my design laptop, I get the same error. When I put it back to the original path, it works. I tried faking simulating the same working path on the show laptop, but that doesn't work either. I'd really like to get this working so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

I have came across this issue a few times. What has worked for me was using https://www.online-convert.com/ and converting the file to a wmv. It’s worked 100% of the time for me when I receive that error. 

1 hour ago, c7williams said:

I have came across this issue a few times. What has worked for me was using https://www.online-convert.com/ and converting the file to a wmv. It’s worked 100% of the time for me when I receive that error. 

I just did this and it seems to work on my design laptop! I won't be able to test it on the show laptop until tomorrow at the earliest, but I will post the results as soon as I know the outcome. Thank you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, griswald said:

I just did this and it seems to work on my design laptop! I won't be able to test it on the show laptop until tomorrow at the earliest, but I will post the results as soon as I know the outcome. Thank you!

Yes please keep us updated.  Where do movie/video clips though?  I have always put images on my tree, but have never done a video/animation type.  Is there a place to find these?

2 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Yes please keep us updated.  Where do movie/video clips though?  I have always put images on my tree, but have never done a video/animation type.  Is there a place to find these?

Any video, YouTube, whatever. As long as you convert it to avi or wmv but I find the converter I listed above to be the best. Just make sure the video isn’t too busy or have a lot of colours that are similar shades. But the best way to check is just to test it. Everyone’s displays are different. I can play a video on my 50x50 matrix with 0.5” spacing and you can play that same video on your 50x50 matrix with 3” spacing and it’s going to look completely different. It’s all based on the setup. 

• 1 year later...