Light-O-Rama Forums

Network cable run distance with CCC (1)

metallus2000

So I have 6 each cosmic color controllers (first edition), that I bought on clearance last year.. Last year was the first year I used them, and had some issues with lights working on the correct channels. In the past few weeks, I installed cat 5e cabling in three rooms in the house. That way, I could watch the light show from the guest bedroom, instead of the basement, where my computer was, while running up and down stairs to see what was going on. Unfortunately, my CCC's aren't all firing correctly. Example: what should be # 2 lighting up, # 4 does. Is there a maximum network cable length? The current length is about 200 feet, running through the house, to my patch panel downstairs, and out top boxes. Currently only two are having an issue. 3/4. 1,2 and 5/6 are fine.

My configuration is 6 each ccc's, interconnected (serial) by cat 5e patch cables.

I have 4 auxiliary networks running 48 CCR's and 2 pixies 2D's about 2800 feet from the PC and I don't have any issues.

Edited by MSB

Just now, MSB said:

I have 4 auxiliary networks running 48 CCR's about 2800 feet from the PC and I don't have any issues.

Sounds like I have a box issue, thanks. I am upgrading this year with two new LOR RGB controllers. I think I will use those (good)CCC's are speciality set-ups.

Thanks

For this particular tree I have 2 Pixie 2D's for the globe and 3-Pixicon 16's for the CCR's. We are using the new Version of the CCR's which are built way better than the originals!  I successfully tested the enhanced network speed for the Pixiecon-16 controllers and it worked well.

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Just an fyi, maximum length for rs485 is 4,000'.

For E1.31 max is 300' but you can extend with a network switch.

Thanks. I do have a switch/patch panel installed. But, need to check settings. It is not a managed switch.

31 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Thanks. I do have a switch/patch panel installed. But, need to check settings. It is not a managed switch.

PIXIES (CCx) are ONLY RS485.  Do not connect to your LAN.  4000' is the limit (should also be terminated: 120ohms at the end)

You describe ID Overlap.  Each port consumes an ID. so a CC device set to 01 inherits 02, 03, inherits 04...

Since you have 6 CCx: Your IDs (should be set)01,03,05,07,09,0A

💡  Show PC in odd location. Use Remote desktop connection (requires Win Pro on HOST. Clients are free for all OS)

31 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

PIXIES (CCx) are ONLY RS485.  Do not connect to your LAN.  4000' is the limit (should also be terminated: 120ohms at the end)

You describe ID Overlap.  Each port consumes an ID. so a CC device set to 01 inherits 02, 03, inherits 04...

💡  Show PC in odd location. Use Remote desktop connection (requires Win Pro on HOST. Clients are free for all OS)

AH...light bulb moment. Thank you!  I will reset them all. I also did not connect them to the switch. I went from outside to patch panel, then to jack in bedroom. 

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Show PC in odd location. Use Remote desktop connection (requires Win Pro on HOST. Clients are free for all OS)

Or VNC, or TeamViewer, or AnyDesk, or...

On 10/26/2020 at 10:35 AM, TheDucks said:

Question. If I get a Pixicon 16, will I be able to connect that to my switch? If it's running E1.31, shouldn't I be able to see it through the network, without a direct connect?

Edited by metallus2000
typo

The Pixcon16 can be run on E1.31 through your ethernet port or network switch or LORs RS485 networks depending on how you program it. The Pixcon16 does not have a online gui so you still have to program it through LOR but you should be able to ping it. Just keep in mind that the Pixcon16 is an advanced user controller and networking knowledge is a must to get it working properly.

A Pixcon 16 can connect via Ethernet (LAN) or LOR (USB RS485) Not both at the same time obviously. Setup though is via Ethernet connection.

There are also many other E1.31 controllers out there. A working knowledge of networking is helpful with the Pixcon or other E1.31 controllers.

If you should go with the Pixcon do NOT mix up the connections. Use different color Cat 5 for your Ethernet and RS485 networks.

5 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

A Pixcon 16 can connect via Ethernet (LAN) or LOR (USB RS485) Not both at the same time obviously. Setup though is via Ethernet connection.

There are also many other E1.31 controllers out there. A working knowledge of networking is helpful with the Pixcon or other E1.31 controllers.

If you should go with the Pixcon do NOT mix up the connections. Use different color Cat 5 for your Ethernet and RS485 networks.

Thanks. I am familiar with networking. Good to know, as it would greatly assist in my remote set-up.

6 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Thanks. I am familiar with networking. Good to know, as it would greatly assist in my remote set-up.

Rs485 is 4000' Host to last controller in the daisy chain (YMMV if not terminated properly)

Ethernet is 100M switch to device NOT DAISY CHAINED. WiFi not recommended  (to controllers) as delays are unpredictable.

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

Rs485 is 4000' Host to last controller in the daisy chain (YMMV if not terminated properly)

Ethernet is 100M switch to device NOT DAISY CHAINED. WiFi not recommended  (to controllers) as delays are unpredictable.

Some non-LOR controllers you can daisy chain.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Some non-LOR controllers you can daisy chain

Because they have an ethernet switch on the board.

• The topic was locked