Light-O-Rama Forums

ELL to FM transmitter?

tscheifler

5 hours ago, Don said:

ELL's don't handle audio. Period.

Can't be done.

Thanks Don. Is that just a LOR design decision or is there a practical reason why the ELL can’t / shouldn’t handle audio?

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

There are lots of ways to transmit audio however.  What are you trying to accomplish?

I’m looking for a way to transmit the audio via FM from a laptop located inside a brick/plaster house without running wires from inside to outside. 
The FM signal needs to extend at least 300 feet. 

Most of us use a whole house fm transmitter such as the cze-05b or something similar.

https://smile.amazon.com/Dvluck-Wireless-Transmitter-76MHz-108MHz-Broadcast/dp/B087BZCZKC/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&keywords=whole+house+fm+transmitter+cze&qid=1603707158&sr=8-41

Edited by Mr. P

4 hours ago, tscheifler said:

I’m looking for a way to transmit the audio via FM from a laptop located inside a brick/plaster house without running wires from inside to outside. 
The FM signal needs to extend at least 300 feet. 

House got an old VHF TV antenna on the roof?  FM was between the old Analog ch 6 + 7. So point the Antenna in the general direction of your viewers (the less elements, the sloppier the directivety)

Why can't you have the transmitter in the house? I have the one Mr.P is talking about, and mine is in the house on a window sill.

6 hours ago, tscheifler said:

Thanks Don. Is that just a LOR design decision or is there a practical reason why the ELL can’t / shouldn’t handle audio?

That would be roughly equivalent to trying to carry 1.5 tons of bricks in a Porsche 911 as opposed to using my full sized pickup truck.  Yes, they are both vehicles - but the similarity largely ends there.  An ELL is a radio, just as a FM transmitter is a radio - but the similarity ends there.  Wrong radio for the job.

23 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That would be roughly equivalent to trying to carry 1.5 tons of bricks in a Porsche 911 as opposed to using my full sized pickup truck.  Yes, they are both vehicles - but the similarity largely ends there.  An ELL is a radio, just as a FM transmitter is a radio - but the similarity ends there.  Wrong radio for the job.

That and the only thing LOR does is output audio to either your computer's audio ports or the directors Line-Out. Audio signals are not transmitted over any parts of the LOR network. They output, yes, but that's it - You can't output the audio via a Director and pick up the audio signal through the audio to a transmitter in the house.

The second-story window provides mostly good reception but the signal is too weak at the entrance to our street. 
I tried hanging the WHT antenna out the window but that did not help. 
Would it help to use a longer antenna wire, say 15 or 20 foot stretched out the window to a nearby tree? Or is that pointless?

Moving the antenna closer to the street should help, but you will probably need to cable it properly with shielded cable.

By the time you finish messing about you probably might as well buy one of the ones listed above.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, tscheifler said:

I’ll try the WHT in a second-story window.

1 hour ago, tscheifler said:

The second-story window provides mostly good reception but the signal is too weak at the entrance to our street. 
I tried hanging the WHT antenna out the window but that did not help. 

Ah, the Whole House Transmitter - subject of many threads here.  A better name would be the Whole Room Transmitter - that's about all it will cover.  Go get yourself one of the CZE transmitters (link earlier in thread or numerous similar available).  You will be much happier.

Time for the 2020 reminder->

Please remember if you are in the USA:

• The FCC places STRICT controls on the power output of unlicensed part 15 (what you are doing) operations.  Other countries have similar laws that you should learn about outside of the USA.
  • The WHT as supplied by LOR is the highest power allowed by the FCC in the United States.
  • Anything more than that subjects you to possible fines and other civil penalties.  
  • The 'Men in Black' have visited several Christmas displays in previous years that were over the power limits.  (Perspective:  people are usually MORE worried about the music licensing issue.  The RIAA has never come down on a display, but the Men in Black have)
  • The higher the power, the more likely it is that you get a visit.  

LOR does not condone or recommend ANY transmitter where the output is higher than the maximum allowed by the FCC.