Light-O-Rama Forums

Why a sudden change of colors for pixels 170-300 on same universe.

smailliw

I am using S5 with a pixcon16.  

Under Pixcon 16 configuration I have:

Port 1 is start universe 25, start channel 1, # pixels 300, end universe 26, end channel 390 triplet order rgb.

Port 2 is start universe 27, start channel 1, # pixels 300, end universe 28, end channel 390 triplet order rgb.

Port 3 is start universe 29, start channel 1, # pixels 117, end universe 29, end channel 351 triplet order rgb.

Under sequencer preview I have

For my roof line I have prop definitions 

Roof left front.

"lights" rgb with rgb pixels checked motion effects rows(0).  "shape" I have exact nodes 300 starting location right. "channels" I have dmx max channel 512, enter channel on first row, auto-number the rest and checked separate universe for each rgb string.  With universe 25 start channel=1, end channel=512.

Roof right.

"lights" rgb with rgb pixels checked motion effects rows(0).   "shape" I have exact nodes 300 starting location left. "channels" I have dmx max channel 512, enter channel on first row, auto-number the rest and checked separate universe for each rgb string.  With universe 27 start channel=1, end channel=512.

Roof top left.

"lights" rgb with rgb pixels checked motion effects rows(0).  "shape" I have exact nodes 100 starting location right. "channels" I have dmx max channel 512, enter channel on first row, auto-number the rest and checked separate universe for each rgb string.  With universe 29 start channel=1, end channel=300.

Roof left front works perfectly.  Roof right with all the same settings works for the first 1-170 pixels.  From pixels 171-300 the colors are off.  When red is on pixels 171-300 display green.  When green should be on pixels 171-300 display blue.  

What am I missing in settings that causes this?  I have ruled out a faulty string by replacing the string from 151+ with a new 50 pixel string and 21 pixels in the colors change.  

16 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Glad it was easy.  Do I need to explain what was happening?

If you don't mind.  I started this last year and only had 2 arches of 150 pixels each.  This year I have expanded to 4000 pixels.  The learning curve has been tough.  Especially getting more than one pixcon16 working.  Currently I can only communicate with them through the silver port and not the black ones.  If you know why I can't use the black ports and jump from box to box that info would be very helpful also. 

Sure can.  A DMX universe has 512 channels.  When we use them for pixels (normally) we use three channels per pixel.  That is 170 pixels (which uses 510 pixels) plus two more channels.  Some pixel controllers can handle having a single pixel split between universes and some can not.  It is common to limit the software to 170 pixels (or 510 channels) in order to avoid that problem.  If the controller can handle splitting a pixel between universes, you certainly can use all 512 channels.  What matters most is that the software setting and the controller are configured the same.

Here is how it works out if the software is using all 512 channels and the controller is using only 510 channels (not splitting a pixel):

510vs512_channels.png

• The topic was locked