Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR controller destroys CCR ribbons?

Jay Czerwinski

Just checking and also sharing so someone else can learn from this and not do the same thing I just experienced.

This morning with no show, I see a CCR strip entirely on white with a few pixels being a different color.   First thought was that the recent rain got in the ribbon and I have a bad pixel freaking out the rest of the ribbon.   So I go to the garage and get another strip and plug it in to the controller and it does the same thing.   I conclude it must be the controller.   

I replace the controller with different one and the ribbon still is doing the same thing.   I put the second ribbon on the controller, and it is doing the same thing.   Now I am thinking that the first controller wrecked the first ribbon, and then I fried a second ribbon in troubleshooting.   

I get a third controller, and test the first two ribbons, and they still are bad.   But I put a third ribbon in the third controller and it all works fine.

CONCLUSION - If you have a ribbon acting up, try a different controller first and do not plug a good strip in as the first test.   

I'm bummed because these are the old ribbons and I have a 12 CCR tree that is now short of two ribbons due to this event in my Halloween setup.

I'm posting this :

1. To confirm with LOR that my hypothesis is correct - a controller can destroy ribbons

2. To warn others from making the same mistake - especially if true.

3. Make it known that if someone has old CCRs I may have an interest in them if you are going to part ways with them. 

About the only way I can think of that a controller could destroy a ribbon is if the voltage regulator in the CCR controller failed and sent too high a voltage to the ribbon.  As I recall, the original CCRs ran at 5V.  If the regulator failed and sent (for example) 15 volts to a 5 volt ribbon, it could kill it.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:01 AM, k6ccc said:

About the only way I can think of that a controller could destroy a ribbon is if the voltage regulator in the CCR controller failed and sent too high a voltage to the ribbon.  As I recall, the original CCRs ran at 5V.  If the regulator failed and sent (for example) 15 volts to a 5 volt ribbon, it could kill it.

Maybe when I have time after the season, I could crack open the box and measure something or measure voltage on the output pins?  

• The topic was locked