Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Devices and ENTTEC Open USB Adapter

kevinito

Hello,

I am currently licensed at the advanced level on LOR v5.5.2 and purchased an ENTTEC Open DMX USB adapter (USB to DMX). After configuring via Network Preferences, I am getting zero results (do I use Raw DMX, Lynx, etc.?). Can I use this ENTTEC adapter for my DMX universe (I have 9 DMX devices) in lieu of purchasing another USB485 and a RJ-45 to XLR adapter? Also, does each DMX device need an individual USB adapter or can I control all DMX devices with one USB adapter?

Thanks,
Kevin

I would think the Enttec should work. The Enttec Pro is listed as an option in the Network Prefs DMX tab below raw DMX.. Does it show up in Device Manager. Have you installed drivers for it in windows. Perhaps someone who uses that particular one can chime in.

It should control up to 512 chans or one universe, you can get many devices in one universe.

I have 6 DMX lights of 13 channels each in one universe but I use a LOR RS485 and a crossover cable. the Enttec should work though.

Light 1 is set to dmx start address 01

Light 2 is set to dmx start address 014  and so on.

You should be able to test in the  Hardware Utility in the Pixel Console section

26 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I would think the Enttec should work. The Enttec Pro is listed as an option in the Network Prefs DMX tab below raw DMX.. Does it show up in Device Manager. Have you installed drivers for it in windows. Perhaps someone who uses that particular one can chime in.

Thanks Phil - I've downloaded and installed the drivers with limited results - Windows gives the typical response of "the driver installed is better than this one". It does show up in the Device Manager as a "USB Serial Converter". 

Same issue. Windows finds the drivers yet still denotes that it is a generic USB device. I looked on ENTTEC's site and it is supposed to be a plug & play device. Only works with certain software packages.- fortunately, I didn't pay full price.

I have used the entec pro for years on LOR software. So it will work.  I use several of the 27 channel controls. I'm trying to remember how I have it installed. I also use S4.

Did the device come with any drivers. Sounds to me that it may be designed for use with specific lighting programs like Freestyle.

I don't see any drivers on the Enttec site. 

Ask LOR in a help ticket, they should know if it is compatible.

8 hours ago, kevinito said:

Hello,

I am currently licensed at the advanced level on LOR v5.5.2 and purchased an ENTTEC Open DMX USB adapter (USB to DMX). After configuring via Network Preferences, I am getting zero results (do I use Raw DMX, Lynx, etc.?). Can I use this ENTTEC adapter for my DMX universe (I have 9 DMX devices) in lieu of purchasing another USB485 and a RJ-45 to XLR adapter? Also, does each DMX device need an individual USB adapter or can I control all DMX devices with one USB adapter?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

I have an Enttec DMX USB Pro. I do not remember having to download any drivers. It does need to have a Comm Port Assigned. In my case it is Comm7. I do not remember how I set it to begin with, but changing an assigned Comm Port is not to difficult.

First question, when you plug it into your USB, does it assign itself a Comm Port? as shown in the picture below in Device Manager?  If so, will this Comm Port interfere with any other Controllers you have? If it will, then changing the Comm Port will sort that out.

entec1.jpg

The next 2 pictures show how mine is seen and setup in the LOR Network Configuration. When plugged in it *should* show up in the DMX tabbed screen as some number in my case an "ALYX4SKC" Adapter, in the Protocol it shows up as Enttec DMX USB Pro (I assume yours would be something similar)

This screen is viewed in the Simple screen.

entec2.jpg

This screen is viewed in the Advanced screen.

entec3.jpg

I don't have much experience with DMX Universes, but as others have said it should work with no problems. I use mine to control a DMX Laser, sequenced through S5.

If you need to change the Comm Port for this adapter, let me know and I can walk you thru it.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

• Like 1

Thanks Alan - I've been that far until I go to the Hardware Utility to "test" the DMX universe under the console - I'm not getting a thing. I went ahead and ordered another USB485 as well as a DMX to Ethernet converter (ordered both male and female). Should be here by the weekend and I will update accordingly.

Kevin,

Why use Hardware Utility at all? If your not using it (HW Utility) to set a controller Comm Port there is really no need to use it to test lights. In fact, if I plug in my ENTTEC Open DMX USB adapter and open Hardware Utility, it tells me the port is already being used. Which is true, by ENTTEC Open DMX USB adapter.

I only use HW Utility to set a Comm Port for LOR controllers.

If you want to test if your universes and adapter work, create a simple sequence using any or all of the universes you want to test and test them live. Don't get too hung up on Hardware Utility.

Just a thought.

Alan...

• Like 1

OK - I was using Ken Benedict's video tutorial below for a step-by-step approach. So, to confirm the connection is computer->USB Cable->Open DMX Adapter->DMX Device? 

Still not working with the USB485 I was sent today. To confirm, I have it connected Computer->USB Hub->USB485->DMX Adapter->DMX Cable->DMX Device. Where does the crossover cable fit into this configuration?  

The LOR rs485 adaptor will do the job by itself. Don't need the Enttec.

If you don't have them you will need the USB drivers from LOR. If you already have an adaptor for LOR controllers, they will already be there.

The LOR to dmx crossover cable goes from the RS 485 RJ45 to the light fixture

I am certainly not a DMX expert but I go Computer>USB DMX Entec clone>Cat cable (orange/orange striped)>DMX Device. Completely different cable than LOR.

OK - thought I had everything. The issue must be in the software setup. Do I use RAW DMX in Network Preferences? What about the other settings? The software also throws an error when I try to change the adapter settings. Thanks all!