Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Devices and ENTTEC Open USB Adapter

kevinito

Going from memory here since I'm not at home.

You will set up in net prefs in dmx tab.

Open universe 1 or whatever and feed it the adaptor ID. It's about eight alpha digits. If I recall I found in the adaptor properties in device manager.

Make sure control panel is running 

In hardware manager.

Do not set the com port for the new adaptor.

Open pixel console, button at bottom.

At lower left click the dmx radio button.

In the center choose your universe 

If your light has start address 01, slider 1 will probably be pan Tilt may be 3, but your light may vary.

If that doesn't work I can talk you through it tommorow when I'm in front of my machine.

Let me know 

Thanks Phil! We have movement, fades, effects, etc. in the Pixel Console!

Another question - I already have musical sequences created for my string lights, but when I try to add a DMX in the sequence (0-255 on channel 1 which controls horizontal movement), nothing happens when I play back (just to test the functionality). Is this normal? Any video tutorial suggestions? Also note that channel 1 is used also for a string of mini lights. Can I have DMX commands on these already used channels?

Thanks again!

Did you add the channel in Preview, with the universe number as a "traditional" channel.

If you add, for example a dmx value of 100, the head will pan to about 200 degrees and stay there as long as the command continues. As soon as it stops it will return home.

Programming is very tedious, by the way.

I made an Excel sheet of all the dmx values and functions for reference. Yours is probably similar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bpd1pkp5532zop/60w moving head channel asignments.xlsx?dl=0

You also need to close the HU when in Sequencer. Both can't be up at the same time.

Edited by PhilMassey

On 10/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, PhilMassey said:

Did you add the channel in Preview, with the universe number as a "traditional" channel.

If you add, for example a dmx value of 100, the head will pan to about 200 degrees and stay there as long as the command continues. As soon as it stops it will return home.

Programming is very tedious, by the way.

I made an Excel sheet of all the dmx values and functions for reference. Yours is probably similar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bpd1pkp5532zop/60w moving head channel asignments.xlsx?dl=0

You also need to close the HU when in Sequencer. Both can't be up at the same time.

It works beautifully now. I am a career coder/software developer, so I live for this (i.e. DMX programming)! Many thanks Phil!

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 8:32 PM, PhilMassey said:

Going from memory here since I'm not at home.

You will set up in net prefs in dmx tab.

Open universe 1 or whatever and feed it the adaptor ID. It's about eight alpha digits. If I recall I found in the adaptor properties in device manager.

Make sure control panel is running 

In hardware manager.

Do not set the com port for the new adaptor.

Open pixel console, button at bottom.

At lower left click the dmx radio button.

In the center choose your universe 

If your light has start address 01, slider 1 will probably be pan Tilt may be 3, but your light may vary.

If that doesn't work I can talk you through it tommorow when I'm in front of my machine.

Let me know 

Thanks for the info on using the HU to test DMX lghts. I had always written an animation seq just to test DMX.  That just saved me a whole lot of time

It's also useful if you need to map out the DMX values for various functions, given how the instructions are  so complete on Chinese products.