Light-O-Rama Forums

3rd party usb - rs485 adapter

zeighty

You MIGHT be able to request for them to send it Usps, idk if they will do that. I know Holiday coro has before for me.

Some of the high charge is the formula the Yahoo store software uses. The effort to adjust each order individually is not cost effective to administer. (And for some places with really cheap prices and outrageous S&H, it was the real profit center :/ )

LOR can't do much about the high cost of postage... But they might want to reconsider their packaging of this line:

1.  eliminate the bulk on things that can be had electronically (disk, manual).
  2.  replace the box with a padded pack (weight reduction and possibly the end shipping container)
  • Like 1

I ship out things that weigh move than the RS485 adapter for my business and have never had to charge more than $9 shipping and a lot of times it is $7. I use Priority Mail for most packages. The post office supplies the boxes as well. 
Almost $17.00 for shipping is just hard to reconcile. 
I have one, I just want a backup. 

Thanks,

robert

On 9/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, TheDucks said:

Some of the high charge is the formula the Yahoo store software uses. The effort to adjust each order individually is not cost effective to administer. (And for some places with really cheap prices and outrageous S&H, it was the real profit center :/ )

LOR can't do much about the high cost of postage... But they might want to reconsider their packaging of this line:

1.  eliminate the bulk on things that can be had electronically (disk, manual).
  2.  replace the box with a padded pack (weight reduction and possibly the end shipping container)

I agree with you. It if cost LOR almost $17 to send out a 5oz package (I just weighed it on my postage scale), then it is a massively inefficient process or a most definite profit center. I can send it priority mail for $6 and change and most likely you will have it in no more than 3 mail days. 

Thanks for your insight. 

Thank you to those replying concerning shipping of the device (which all make good points).

Is there anyone that has used a 3 party RS485 adapter?  

On 9/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, zeighty said:

I ship out things that weigh move than the RS485 adapter for my business and have never had to charge more than $9 shipping and a lot of times it is $7. I use Priority Mail for most packages. The post office supplies the boxes as well. 
Almost $17.00 for shipping is just hard to reconcile. 
I have one, I just want a backup. 

Thanks,

robert

I think Covid has brought the business S/H charges up.

I just shipped to cups from my place to a friend and the UPS shipping was $47 ground. Since it was for a friend it was no big deal. In the past when I shipped through the UPS in was $17 for the same two cups and one state farther away.

Is it really worth the risk to go out and buy an adapter which may be cheaper but not work over the $17 S/H charge? I could have drove to the USPS and shipped those same cups flat rate $10 but having them picked up is convininet and safer for me in these times.

JR

On 9/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

You MIGHT be able to request for them to send it Usps, idk if they will do that. I know Holiday coro has before for me.

Yes, LOR WILL do that.  I have requested USPS shipping many times, and if the cost is equal or more than UPS, LOR always asks me if I still want to use USPS, if the cost is more, I don't, if it's the same I don't because the USPS package NEVER is delivered direct to my door, and it's a 1 mile walk to my mailbox!   And being disabled sometimes that walk is too much for me, and I've complained to USPS about that, but doesn't do any good.  So then I have to send my wife to get my delivery when USPS is used.

But when checking out, you just put in the comment area "Could you please ship this USPS?"   Last time I asked, LOR told me USPS shipping would cost more than UPS, so I went with UPS at that point.

But, yes, LOR WILL ship USPS if you request it, and, again, will let you know if the USPS rate is equal to, or higher, than the UPS cost, then you can let them know which way you want it shipped.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:25 AM, dibblejr said:

I think Covid has brought the business S/H charges up.

I just shipped to cups from my place to a friend and the UPS shipping was $47 ground. Since it was for a friend it was no big deal. In the past when I shipped through the UPS in was $17 for the same two cups and one state farther away.

Is it really worth the risk to go out and buy an adapter which may be cheaper but not work over the $17 S/H charge? I could have drove to the USPS and shipped those same cups flat rate $10 but having them picked up is convininet and safer for me in these times.

JR

Thanks for your response. My customers’ number one concern is shipping charges. Most all my work is custom and not cheap, but they still want “free” shipping.  
My mailman will pick up my Priority Mail, so that is an advantage. I have FedEx and UPS account as well as my USPS account. USPS is most often $4-5 cheaper that the others. 
As for is it worth the savings. That’s subjective of course. I would much rather give LOR my money for their product, however I’m letting the $17 “get” to me. 
I’ll decide soon. 

• 4 months later...

From what I have been reading. This post got off topic pretty quick and the discussion of shipping charges became the topic.

The answer to the question about 3rd party rs485 adapters was never directly answered. Or did I miss something

I think it is fair to say that if a third party adaptor were found to work, that you would have heard about it. The LOR protocol is proprietary.

The only adaptor you should consider is the red High Speed version for the few extra bucks it costs.