Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to Open Device Files in Hardware Utility

Damon Hobbs

Just finished building a pixie 16 and when I go to hardware utility to add it, I get this error.  If I let it continue to scan it will find an unknown device, but nothing LOR related.  Downloaded the latest device files from LOR, and still doesn't work.  Anyone else ever run into this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot (9).png

It says Com3 is in use (other LOR running?)

Are there any other devices on the cable?

Are you running a RED (HS) adapter? What speed is it set to?

According to the error message, HU can't find the devicefile.txt, which contains info about all LOR controllers. 

It lives in user/lor/lorinternal/downloads/HU.

it should update itself when you use the HU, if you are connected to the Internet.

Close HU, for good measure restart the pc and connect to internet and restart the HU

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling S5 which might straighten things out.

36 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

It says Com3 is in use (other LOR running?)

Are there any other devices on the cable?

Are you running a RED (HS) adapter? What speed is it set to?

Nothing else, only thing hooked to the computer is this controller through a RED adapter set to LOR 500k.  Control panel running, and HU as far as programs running.  Never had this issue before when adding a controller.  I did update to 5.5.2, so I don't know if the problem is with that or what.

27 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

According to the error message, HU can't find the devicefile.txt, which contains info about all LOR controllers. 

It lives in user/lor/lorinternal/downloads/HU.

it should update itself when you use the HU, if you are connected to the Internet.

Close HU, for good measure restart the pc and connect to internet and restart the HU

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling S5 which might straighten things out.

I replaced the file from the one on LOR website for the device list, Still nothing.  I may just re download and try again or revert back to a previous version when I know it worked last.  Currently using 5.5.2.  It has stumped me.

I think if the pc is connected to the internet, the file will automatically download itself when you open HU.

I deleted the file and it came back when I clicked refresh. 

I have 5.5.2.

5 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I think if the pc is connected to the internet, the file will automatically download itself when you open HU.

I deleted the file and it came back when I clicked refresh. 

I have 5.5.2.

Ok, thanks.  I will try that.  I may hook straight into the router instead of wifi.  

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I contacted the help desk and got a few generic responses from them and then they pinged engineering.  While waiting for engineering to contact me, I went through everything that I could think of, and the ideas you all had suggested.  Finally, today I thought maybe I should turn the antivirus off, and low and behold that was it.  AVAST Free, was blocking the connection from the hardware utility.  After a few choice words, I had the controller up and running.  Thank you all for your input.

25 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Hey, did you turn off your antivirus?  😁

When I noticed the 5.5.4 version today, I was like ok, maybe this is why I haven't heard from engineering because this is a known issue with the last release.  No, after I downloaded it I had the same problem, so I was a half an inch away from tossing computer and controller out the window!  Whats odd though is that I had the same antivirus last year, and never had that issue.  Oh well, at least now I know to disable that*&$! antivirus when I go into HU.  

I agree with Phil. Dump the old AV software and just use Windows Defender, assuming you are using Windows 10. Its free and works %99 of the time. I've had only one bug sneak through too date and I had to manually remove it.

• The topic was locked