Light-O-Rama Forums

New Equipment

PostmasterX

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I just recently purchased the 4 singing trees and a 16 CCR Ribbon Tree set at the sale, and paid like $60 for shipping. Then today I received a random Paypal request for another $200 for shipping. Is this legitimate, or potentially a spam?

On a related matter, any suggestions on how to mount the 4 singing trees and the pixel ribbon tree? How tall/long are the CCR Ribbons? What's the best way to store these items, to avoid damage? 

I would give LOR a phone call or email, that doesn't sound right. I just received 2 very large packages of wire frame's for xmas and the shipping for both was $95. Now of course the weight of mine was near nothing, just bulky, but I wouldn't think the tree's could weigh much.

Keith

10 minutes ago, PostmasterX said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. I just recently purchased the 4 singing trees and a 16 CCR Ribbon Tree set at the sale, and paid like $60 for shipping. Then today I received a random Paypal request for another $200 for shipping. Is this legitimate, or potentially a spam?

On a related matter, any suggestions on how to mount the 4 singing trees and the pixel ribbon tree? How tall/long are the CCR Ribbons? What's the best way to store these items, to avoid damage? 

You may be being caught with the Dimensional weight charge (LxWxGirth) , but that still seems high for Ground, Dimensional was originally  to catch Light-but Bulky Air cargo,

Less honorable merchants advertise low prices and use a highly inflated S&H. I can't imagine LOT doing this

I know another member here just purchased 2 of the LOR Singing trees so maybe he will chime in , that's probably about right though because the boxes are large. I am pretty sure $60 would not cover the S/H. I was going to buy something today and the S/H charge from the company was 3X more than the actual cost of the item. $140, the weight was 13 pounds and the box was 4'x8'x6". S/H $440, of course I did not buy the item. I was trying to save money not throw it away. Indiana to Alabama.

The LOR face boxes are about 36"x36" by 6" or so. Just for comparison.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I built a PVC frame for my singing trees using 90 degree elbows for the top two corners and "Tees" for the bottom two corners with the short end of the tee connecting a cross member piece of PVC. I then drove two lengths of rebar in the ground and slipped the frames "tees"  over the rebar, works great

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PostmasterX said:

If you only paid $60 shipping you got off cheap!   When I added my 2 LOR Singing Trees to the cart {pre MAD Sale}, the cost was $124 and some change for shipping if I recall, but could be +/- a couple bucks.  By the time I added everything else I was purchasing from LOR, spent almost $2,000 and shipping was around $146 and some change if I recall.  That was 2 Singing Trees, a G4 MP3 Director, Extra SD Card for the Director and 6 - 25 foot Cat5 cables and a set of 100 count {2 strands of 50 - 5VDC RGB C7/9{?}} Style bulbs on Clearance for one of my CCB100D RGB Controllers.  I had purchased 4 of the same clearance bulbs earlier and the shipping on them alone {total 8 strands of 50 RGB CCB bulbs} was around $60 just for those alone.

So it may be your shipping charges somehow got skewed in the process, and you may actually owe more for the shipping due to the size and weight of the packages in total.  But I'd definitely check with LOR on that before I committed any additional money for shipping.  There are a lot of scam artists out there just trying to make a buck any way they can.

Good Luck!

6 hours ago, jwblazek said:

I built a PVC frame for my singing trees using 90 degree elbows for the top two corners and "Tees" for the bottom two corners with the short end of the tee connecting a cross member piece of PVC. I then drove two lengths of rebar in the ground and slipped the frames "tees"  over the rebar, works great

I found a much easier and affordable way for these bad boys and girl. If you are hanging them from something.  Using Boscoyo strips to hang them from the top and boscoyo strips to hang and secure to something on the ground like a stake. That makes them totally collapsible when done and easily place back in the boxes for those that don't have them hanging in their garage like I do.

OP if you need pics or videos of what I am talking about let me know.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 12:23 AM, dibblejr said:

I found a much easier and affordable way for these bad boys and girl. If you are hanging them from something.  Using Boscoyo strips to hang them from the top and boscoyo strips to hang and secure to something on the ground like a stake. That makes them totally collapsible when done and easily place back in the boxes for those that don't have them hanging in their garage like I do.

OP if you need pics or videos of what I am talking about let me know.

JR

If you've got pictures I'd love to see them. I'm still trying to decide the best place to mount them. I've attached a picture of the front of my property. I have a wrap around driveway, that I thought people could use to drive thru, but most stop on the road to the front of my property to watch the lights (Roughly where the picture is taken from). This last year I wrapped each large tree trunk on the left with a separate light channel and hung colored balls from the tree, I made 4 small trees out of light strands on the grass, and wrapped 4 light strands around the small tree in front of the fence. I also did my roof line in four separate sections. My thinking this year is to mount the ribbon pixel tree off the shed (easier to see without the leaves), and maybe place the singing faces in the lawn closer to the audience? 

House.jpg

14 minutes ago, PostmasterX said:

If you've got pictures I'd love to see them. I'm still trying to decide the best place to mount them. I've attached a picture of the front of my property. I have a wrap around driveway, that I thought people could use to drive thru, but most stop on the road to the front of my property to watch the lights (Roughly where the picture is taken from). This last year I wrapped each large tree trunk on the left with a separate light channel and hung colored balls from the tree, I made 4 small trees out of light strands on the grass, and wrapped 4 light strands around the small tree in front of the fence. I also did my roof line in four separate sections. My thinking this year is to mount the ribbon pixel tree off the shed (easier to see without the leaves), and maybe place the singing faces in the lawn closer to the audience? 

House.jpg

I can’t send pics without either a phone number or email so if you would like shoot me a text. We are very limited here

.However looking at your you may have plenty of options since these are so light, durable and bright.

1- hang from the home where the viewer can see it. They are bright so no problem with there and the way I used the Boscoyo strips is very easy. Place a screw or hook at the top wherever you want to mount, zip tie the top corners to the strip and hang on the hook.

Place a stake in the ground at the corners and use another strip at the lower corners and some string to put tension to keep them from blowing with the wind.

This makes it a very easy prop to hang.

2- run a section of 2” grey pvc pipe beteen the two trees and so the same as above.

3- Get the green T fence posts and use a post hammer tool to drive them in. Build a two part wood frame - top and bottom rails.

Screw the wood to the posts and then secure the faces to them. Using screws or hooks.

The faces do not weigh anything at all. I have the controllers ziptied to the bottom but for shows they will be zip ties to the back of the prop.

I use this technique for my 8 large circles and it works great.

All of the above make it easy to take down and store.

The first one will take up the least amount of storage but it looks like you may have storage space.

My T posts and pvc all get stored outside by my barn and will last a long time exposed to the elements.

Hopefully this helps and if you want pics pm me the info.

JR

• The topic was locked