Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange Audio Issue

lightsbyjoe

Hi,

I set up a new computer to run the shows, however I can't hear any audio when the shows are running.

I can play a sequence through the sequence editor, and via Windows Media player (newest version)

However, whenever I set up a show and enable the show, I hear no audio. The lights work, but there is no audio.

Any ideas?

Using Windows XP, and the USB485B controller.

Denny,

All testing was done with headphones or speakers plugged directly into the computer.

I can disable shows, open the sequence editor and play a sequence. When close the sequence editor, and enable the show I get no audio - just lites.

I assume you are not using a controller with the MP3 Show Director installed because I would have different suggestions if you do.

Just for testing, create a new show and put one sequence in it. MAKE SURE you select a sequence that you recently ran in the editor and know that it works. I mention this for several reasons.

Richard, I did as you suggested.

I opened the sequence editor, and verified a sequence would play. (It does.)

I created "test_show_1" and put the above sequence in the show.

Scheduled the show, and enabled them. Lites blink, no music.

ok joe, lets start from the beginning.

play a sequence. without headphone but speakers. if you hear the show, click and do a schedule. dont change anyhthing with the speakers. let the schedule run and see if you hear the audio.

also make sure you only have one folder with your sequence and audio. sounds like you have two folders and a conflick. check each path

I don't know if this will help you, but this year I swicthed computers to run the show. With the newer computer, I plugged my fm transmitter in to the rear audio jack. I then plugged the speakers in, that came with the computer, into the head phone jack in the front of the computer so I could hear it in the garage while I launched the show. There was no music playing over the transmitter, but I could hear it over the speakers. After much fuss and running back and forth, I discovered the rear jack is interupted when I plug the speakers into the front jack.

evana

I didnt change the paths, so the files are stored in the default locations.

I did as you suggested, plugged in headhpones, played a sequence with the seq. editor. I could hear the music.

I then ran the schedule (with yet another new show, by the way) .. still have no music only lights.

lightsbyjoe wrote:

Richard, I did as you suggested.
I opened the sequence editor, and verified a sequence would play. (It does.)
I created "test_show_1" and put the above sequence in the show.
Scheduled the show, and enabled them. Lites blink, no music.

Hmmm, that rules out a lot of issues I was thinking about. I'm stumped for now, but I will think about it some more. Let's see what other people think. It does sound like some sort of issue with the "show" not playing the audio, but otherwise runs the sequence. This really rings a bell with me having a similar problem like this a couple years ago, but I can't recall what it was. Like most things with LOR, the solution is simple and obvious AFTER you know what it is ;-)

I might have overlook this, but what version of software are you using? 2.0.16? Is the show editor and schedule also 2.0.16? Also, I assume that you placed the sequence in the "Musical" tab of the show editor and that you do not have anything else listed in the other tabs?

Richard,

I've looked at everything, but I checked again just make sure. Running 2.0.16.

Checked my shows many times. Have tried with and with out items in startup/shutdown tabs with no luck.

Also, I can play songs through media player ... which only adds to the confusion.

Okay,

So the issue became more complicated, but probably easier at the same time.

Now when I run a sequence in the editor, I get lights and music.

Sequence editor/ Hardware utilite all see the controller. the red light is solid on the controller ; doesn't that mean it's getting the signals?

Isn’t technology great? (When it works)

If evana is right and you do have two directories for some reason, you may be adding a different sequence (lms) file to the show than you are currently editing in the sequence editor. When you open the file in each program (sequence and schedule editors) verify the complete directory path is the same. You could even right click on the file when you go to open it to verify the modified dates are the same.

If that doesn’t work, maybe you want to try running the RegistryWipe tool. It can be found near the bottom of this page:

http://www.lightorama.com/SoftwareUpgrade.html

After running it, you will have to start LOR and re-establish your LOR directory. Keep in mind (if evana is right) you may end up with a file not found issue in the sequence editor. But if that were to happen you are probably on the right path.

Just ran regwipe. set up comport again, can still play through sequence editor.

For fun I opened the show I'm using in a text editor, and the path to the sequence is correct.

Still no lights/sounds when show is playing.

No lights when running the show? Is that a change from earlier?

Are you closing the sequence editor (and other audio programs) before you enable the show? One of them might be tying up the files or hardware and not releasing them.

For the heck of it, I uninstalled, ran regwipe, and re-installed.

checked to make sure my paths were correct at each step of the way.

can still play in sequnence editor .. but not when show running.

Unfortunately Joe, I’m getting close to joining Richard on the bench.

In response to your earlier question “the red light is solid on the controller doesn't that mean it's getting the signals?” you are correct. The solid red light means the controller is receiving the heartbeat commands from one of the programs on the computer (sequence editor, hardware utility, or enabled shows). Does the LED start blinking when you disable the show?

You can also try emailing LOR support directly. I’m not sure how responsive they are on the weekends.

Support@lightorama.com

Joe,

Just a couple of questions to clarify.

After the reinstallation and regwipe, have you created a new show? Are you creating the show manualy or are you using the Simpl Show Builder (ssb)?

-Steve

Joe,

This is certainly an odd one... When the show is playing and the lights are going (with no sound)... Can you check the current audio settings on the PC. Check that the volume is turned up and not on mute. I recall a case where it seemed the media player (or something on the PC) somehow remembered settings for individual programs and for some reason when the show player started the audio would mute. Once it was un-muted things were okay.

Dan