Light-O-Rama Forums

Strange Audio Issue

lightsbyjoe

Steve Saunders wrote:

Joe,

Just a couple of questions to clarify.

After the reinstallation and regwipe, have you created a new show? Are you creating the show manualy or are you using the Simpl Show Builder (ssb)?

-Steve

I created new shows with the regular show builder. Might try the ssb.

Joe,

One way to correct the problem described by Dan is to try the following. Open a sequence in the sequence editor and set then click view-video-show audio visualizations. Then play the sequence when the player window starts you can right click the window and select audio up-down-mute to adjust. If that wont get it for you Dan will probably have the answer for you.

-Steve

Okay, something of an update, and I think we're figuring out what direction to go.

I have two computers, one that I sequence on, another that I run the shows.

If I move a show over to the 'show computer' it will play in the seqence editor just fine. In fact, the audio file is there and everything; I don't have to change the paths at al.l

However, when I try to run the same sequence via the show finction, it won't play.

Now, the update. if I create a sequence on the show computer it will work in the show player (scheduled show) just fine.

Bingo!

If you are going to use more than one PC you need to be sure your files are in the exact same directory path on every computer. Unless…

Check out the link below that points out the benefits of keeping your audio files in LOR’s default audio directory:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16868&forum_id=72&jump_to=155866#p155866

rwertz wrote:

Bingo!

If you are going to use more than one PC you need to be sure your files are in the exact same directory path on every computer. Unless…

Check out the link below that points out the benefits of keeping your audio files in LOR’s default audio directory:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16868&forum_id=72&jump_to=155866#p155866

But if the sequence plays via the sequence editor, with zero modifications (after I move it over), why won't it play in the show? Isn't all the show function doing is playing the sequence.?

Joe,

I’m still thinking your problem is related to the fact that you are moving files between PCs. There is nothing wrong with doing this. But based on my experience, this can easily cause issues similar to what you are having.

I agree it doesn’t seem to make sense that the sequence works in the editor. It may be that you are playing a different sequence in the editor than the one you added to your show.

If you use multiple PCs (e.g. sequence on one and run the show with another), any difference in the complete path of any file could cause you trouble (including drive letter). Forgetting to copy a necessary file is just as bad. Since we are talking about multiple computers, it is probably important to know where each operation is performed and when the files are copied over.

Again, probably the best thing to do is store all your files where LOR first looks for them or tries to save them to. If you put them there LOR uses paths relative to its default directory rather than the full paths. This includes saving a copy of the mp3 to LORs default audio directory. Along with doing that, I also set the default directory to the exact same path on each computer using a specific directory I create on the C drive rather than any of the MyDocuments locations.

Even with doing all this, I spent 30 minutes on Friday trying to figure out why a sequence wouldn’t play on the show computer. It turned out I had not copied a file to the correct directory. Even though I couldn’t figure out which file I was missing I resolved it by copying the entire LOR directory over to the show PC.

You are using 2 computers, make sure to not only copy the lms file to the show computer, but also the mp3 file to the same place on the show computer as it is in the sequencing computer. Then, on the show computer, in the sequence editor, open the lms file, add the music file and save the sequence on the show computer. I had sequences that I saved to a flash drive, edited them in the sequence editor on another computer, but when I put them back on my home computer they wouldn't play in the show editor until I re-saved them in the sequence editor on the home computer. I have a feeling the mp3 file is missing on your show computer.

I don't think it's a path issue.

I created an animation only sequence on my main computer. Copied it over to the show computer, and verified that it would work.

Loaded it into the show, and enabled shows. The animation only file did not play.

Now I'm 100% stumped.

Did you create the show on the computer running the lights? Do you have the show scheduled?

Click on the lightbulb in the system tray (by the clock) to open the status window. What does it say? (maybe attach a screen shot of it)

rwertz wrote:

Did you create the show on the computer running the lights? Do you have the show scheduled?

Click on the lightbulb in the system tray (by the clock) to open the status window. What does it say? (maybe attach a screen shot of it)

Sequences created on the 'main' computer, do not run on the 'show' computer. (They run in the sequence editor, but do not work when shows are enabled.)

Sequences created on the show computer will work.

Shows were created on the 'show' computer.

Shows are enabled. Says "playing show_1"

OK, I’ll give the directory thing a break for the moment. How about the software versions?

Do you have the same version of the various tools on both PCs? I think the main one to check would be the sequence editor. But I believe each tool displays its own version.

rwertz wrote:

Do you have the same version of the various tools on both PCs? I think the main one to check would be the sequence editor. But I believe each tool displays its own version.

To be sure, I just uninstalled LOR on the main machine, and did a re-install. (The logic behind that was the fact that the show machine was a fresh install/upgrade, while the main machine was upgraded several times.)

Open seq. on main machine, re-save. Copy to show machine. Open in seq. editor, plays fine. Still won't play on show machine.

All,

Possible update: I contacted LOR Support, and received an email back stating I may have found a bug.

It seems that the last channel in my config is set to "LOR Device Type" but I don't have a controller/channel assigned to it. They are fairly confident this is why it plays in the seq. editor, but not in the shows.

I'll try it out tonight and see if that solves my problem.

This issue has been resolved.

The cause was having the "device type" set, but no controller/channel defined. No idea how that happened, changing the device type to 'none' on the affected channel resolved the issue. (There is nothing on this channel, so if you have something there, simply be sure to fill in the entire config info.)

I was having a similar problem, and was about to pull my remaining hair out. Songs would play fine in the sequencer, but not in the show. I looked through my sequence, and found one channel that had the device, and unit number, but was missing the LOR channel. Entering the channel number fixed the show issue.

Thanks for the post.

jim