Light-O-Rama Forums

AC Controller Naming Question

Protege94

I currently run a mega tree with a 16 channel AC controller. This year I am wanting to add a second tree on the other side of my yard and want to have a separate controller for that tree. Would it work if I named both controllers by the same name? Then I would only have to program each channel once, or would it be better to give each one its own controller number and then copy and paste the sequence pieces from my current mega tree to the new controller settings?

Why waste a controller if you want them to do the same thing? You can run extension cord / wire from tree to tree. I use my MT tower to mount 6 ac controllers to. One of those is used for my mini trees which are 180' away from the tower.

Use the 2nd controller for something else.

Now if you want them to do something different you will need multiple controllers.

JR

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Why waste a controller if you want them to do the same thing? You can run extension cord / wire from tree to tree. I use my MT tower to mount 6 ac controllers to. One of those is used for my mini trees which are 180' away from the tower.

Use the 2nd controller for something else.

Now if you want them to do something different you will need multiple controllers.

JR

Mainly because they aren't that close to each other and it would be easier to run 1 network cable rather than 16 ext cords. While this year I plan to have them run the same lines of coding, with 2 controllers it will give me the option to split them in the future if I want to and have time to add those lines into my songs.

5 hours ago, Protege94 said:

I currently run a mega tree with a 16 channel AC controller. This year I am wanting to add a second tree on the other side of my yard and want to have a separate controller for that tree. Would it work if I named both controllers by the same name? Then I would only have to program each channel once, or would it be better to give each one its own controller number and then copy and paste the sequence pieces from my current mega tree to the new controller settings?

You can do it like that, but I wouldn't recommend it, because if you have a hic-cup in the sequence, you're going to hate yourself for not assigning the controller a different ID # for the 2nd Tree.  The reason is, if you have something get plugged into the wrong dangle{channel} on the 2nd tree controller, then when the sequence runs you see an error in the 2nd tree not performing identical to the first tree, and if multiple dangles are incorrectly connected to the 2nd tree, it's going to be a headache figuring out where you went wrong.   Especially if the dangles aren't marked well, and the tree cords that plug into them aren't marked to mate with them.

Better off to just assign the 2nd controller it's own ID and then copy/paste your first trees lighting commands to the new unit.  Believe me, it's better than when it comes to troubleshooting if something goes awry.

I tried your method the first year I got into this, it liked to drive me just as my tag line states, insane trying to find out where I made my mistake by using multiple controllers with a same ID #.     I would recommend never to go that route.

But the final decision is yours, you'll have to weigh the details and think on what problems that may arise that could be a real pain in the backside to troubleshoot.

Use different ID, too easy to select the row and paste, entire song pasted in under 60 seconds if you are good. 

• The topic was locked