Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to run 5.4.0 on Server 2012 r2

k6ccc

Just loaded LOR 5.4.0 on my server.  The server runs the landscape lighting show from January until mid October.  When I start the show player, I get this error:

5.4.0_server_error.png

Any help?  I'm rolling back to 5.3.14 now since the show starts in a couple hours...

@k6ccc

Just a quick thought.

Anything thing listed in the event viewer logs? If so, does it list any certain dll? You may need permissions to it seeing how its Windows Server.

2 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

@k6ccc

Just a quick thought.

Anything thing listed in the event viewer logs? If so, does it list any certain dll? You may need permissions to it seeing how its Windows Server.

I should have screen captured that.  No, nothing out of the ordinary until I said Show Player stopping.

I am running this under an administrator level account.

Looks like something didn't get installed correctly. When you get a chance, try uninstalling. Then run the LOR Registry Wipe utility. Reboot. If you have the LOR Control Panel set to auto-start, then close it. Then try re-installing 5.4.0.

Matt

I will try that tomorrow.  I don't have time to do this today before the show starts for the evening.

BTW, I did not that the 5.4.0 installer was much faster (nice not having it try to install Direct-X every time.  Also noted that the uninstaller worked better and did not leave leftovers in Program Files (x86).

14 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I will try that tomorrow.  I don't have time to do this today before the show starts for the evening.

BTW, I did not that the 5.4.0 installer was much faster (nice not having it try to install Direct-X every time.  Also noted that the uninstaller worked better and did not leave leftovers in Program Files (x86).

Just wanted to see if you had any luck with the reinstall Jim.

23 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Just wanted to see if you had any luck with the reinstall Jim.

Short answer is yes.  There is a story however.  I had not planned on re-attempting 5.4.0 until today because I did not have time to do so before the landscaping show was scheduled to start.  I had rather quickly re-installed 5.3.14 remotely and it appeared to be running.  An hour later the server did it's regularly scheduled weekly re-boot.  When I got home, the yard was dark.  Real quickly remoted into the server and found that it was trying to complete the install and could not find one of the files (I have seen that before).  So, I just did a complete removal, Registry wipe, and reinstalled 5.4.0.  This time it worked fine.  Had to redo my network setting, but the show ran just fine last night.

Jim - here is an FYI:

Network Preferences has an 'export' command available that can save off your entire network configuration.  When you do the export, the settings are saved in a file.  After doing the registry wipe, do the install.   Start the control panel and let it complain about not being able to open COM ports/etc.  Unload it, start Network Preferences, and then import your network config.

That can take some of the pain away of a registry wipe.

The good news is that the new way the installer is created, should stop, or at least reduce, these kinds of issues (DLL/OCX mis-matches)

Thanks Mike!

The bigger utility of the Export and Import is people who run multiple configurations.  For example Christmas vs Halloween vs year round.  Save it with a useful name.  Repeat for each configuration.  When it's time to change configuration, simply do an Import from the appropriate saved file.  This also allows moving a config to another computer easily...