Light-O-Rama Forums

Tutorial - Prop Design in S5 using a picture

In this tutorial, I show a walk thru of how I make a prop for S5 using a picture as a reference. Using a detailed picture helps you create props that are more visually accurate.
In the video I show a prop design using high end software, this isn't necessary, as any picture will do. The software I use allows me to space the pixels at exactly the distance I want, and creates a layout I can put toolpaths should I want to cut this prop on the router. My rental version doesn't allow me to apply toolpaths, but is very handy in the design of props.

I have had requests from people to help them use a prop they downloaded that are hard to understand pixel layout. I  do not understand the concept of designing a prop with a number of pixels that is not divsible by 50 (common number of strings per strand) I always try to use every pixel on a strand, even it means redesigning a prop. This is what I have done here.

I have included 3 .lpeprops. The original 208 pixel layout, an adjusted 208 layout, and a Pixie4 Friendly version using 200 pixels. Feel free to download them and experiment.

The size of the props is roughly 33" x 33" with 1 1/8" Pixel Spacing

Alan...

These are what the .lpeprops look like in S5 Prop Design. You willneed to edit network, unit id's and start / end circuits

Snowflake Spinner 208 Pixels Original.lpeprop

SS%20Snowflake%20Spinner%20208%20Pixels%     Background%20Pic%20208%20Snowflake%20Spi  

Snowflake Spinner 208 Pixels Cleaned up.lpeprop

Snowflake%20Spinner%20208%20Pixels%20-%2     Background%20Pic%20208%20Pixels%20Adjust 

Snowflake Spinner 200 Pixels Pixie 4 Friendly.lpeprop

SS%20Snowflake%20Spinner%20200%20Pixels%     Background%20Pic%20Pixie4%20Friendly%20S

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. That is one of the best tutorials around. Much needed to get my feet started with S5.

Breaking it down to 50's is a great way of thinking as I get ready to convert my faces to RGB. 

Wish I knew someone with a  machine local I could take them to and have them cut the pixel holes in my coro. Any recommendations of the type of business that may have one of those cutters? I tried sign shops last month, none around here.

I'm gonna lay my current props minus the led lights on my new coro and mark with a sharpie at 2" on center and drill away. Got me some10mm color coro coming in from Canada so that my props will look like something on the day time. 

Now we gotta get Greg on board. LOL

JR

4 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

@default

Can you do a video on getting the galaxy spiral on it? That is the one effect that I am after and can't figure it out.

Can you use a picture like in the video? Alan used a gif of a picture similar to his avatar pic.

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Now we gotta get Greg on board. LOL

JR

I have spent 4 days trying to get that blasted spinner going and learning S5. But I am onboard!

Just now, dibblejr said:

Can you use a picture like in the video? Alan used a gif of a picture similar to his avatar pic.

JR

Interesting. Let me go get one and try.

1 minute ago, gsmith37064 said:

I have spent 4 days trying to get that blasted spinner going and learning S5. But I am onboard!

You and I both.

Took Alan a few hours, we gotta step up our game. LOL

JR

28 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

@default

Can you do a video on getting the galaxy spiral on it? That is the one effect that I am after and can't figure it out.

I just did the video. Going to eat and I'll post it tonight, soon.

This effect is for my spinner. I will include the .sup and .lee files so you can see the video, then load it into SS and see it for your selfs. Hopefully this will be helpful for you.

Alan...