Light-O-Rama Forums

CSA Certification

NWSanta

Hey guys,

The City I live in has asked them to help make an animated display but, they will only do it if the equipment is CSA Certified. They said they will use the equipment if the company pays to have the equipment certified. Is this something you can do or is there just way to much cost involved?

At this point I can't think of any of the animated lighting products, AL or LOR that are CSA Certified???

Send me a PM if you'd rather answer it there or an email at langfordlights@gmail.com

Thanks guys
Evan

I am not 100% sure on this, so don't quote me, but I remember reading that the LOR products are certified in Canada. I don't know how their regulations differ from anything in the US, but I do think I remember reading about it...I will look at it.

Thanks , looks like I may be up **** Creek without a paddle but, I'll talk to the Engineers of the City and see if some common ground could be had.

Go figure hey, something as cool and spectacular as this an ol' Safety Standards, Government and silly regulations have to put a wrench in things.

Cheers
Evan

NWSanta wrote:

Go figure hey, something as cool and spectacular as this an ol' Safety Standards, Government and silly regulations have to put a wrench in things.

Big Govenrment -- coming to a USA near you ;).

-Tim

Canadian commercial projects have had this request satisfied in the past by the ETL certification (to UL 508 standards) that is available on the LOR1600W, LOR1602W, LOR1602MP3. Generally, ETL certification is equivalent to CSA.

You can follow this link for certification information:

http://www.intertek-etlsemko.com -> Product Directories -> ETL Listed Directory -> (Click here to search the ETL Listed Mark Directory) -> (search for Light O Rama) -> Follow the Light O Rama links.

Here is an ETL page on CSA vs ETL certification:

http://www.intertek-etlsemko.com/portal/page/cust_portal/ITK_PGR/CONTACT_US_LP_PG/ETL_LP/ETL_FAQ

Hey John,

OK, that info looks helpful! I will take it to my meeting on Tuesday and see if that will pass their wishes.

I currently own one LOR1602W and several PC boards but, I am going to take my Showtime unit with me and see what they think of that. I'd love to make this works as I have all of my own sequencing that I could just give the city and use in their shows...

Thanks for all the help and wish me luck!
With any luck I will be phoning you to have some units shipped to Canada.

Any idea what the timeline is if we wanted 128 channels done with Showtime units shipped to Canada?

2,3, 4 weeks?

cheers Evan.

I'm betting that LOR John is correct. You can likely sell them on the fact that the ETL certification is good enough. ETL is a recognized certifying body in Canada by the Standards Council of Canada.

Other than that, Frankly, I doubt that you will find any decent automated controllers with a CSA mark.

It looks like they are going to have to hire a couple thousand of those Chinese guys from the Olympics opening ceremony to quickly turn strings of lights on and off to the beat of music ;)