Light-O-Rama Forums

help with order on changing columns to a pixel layout

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

I have 6 Columns on my house..the goal for this year is to have pixels on each column, house outline and rgb floods on the house,  I wanna get started with the RGB early since there isnt anyone around here doing RGBs. before i end up with 100,000 lights and 15 AC controllers.. i need to go ahead and take the jump......

my question is... how many pixels woukd suffice on 7ft columns,, they are 8" in diameter. I dont need them wrapped all the way... i was thinking 5 or 6 strands of 50 nodes. on each column.. but if i did that,,,, how many controllers would i need?

Disclaimer: Not an Artist

Stop. Take a breath. The magic of Pixels is the ability to INDIVIDUALLY change color.

What was done with fixed color strings (AC or Dumb) will not translate to how pixels would best be used.

With AC strings, you probably just wrapped the (those very fat 😛 ) poles in strands, then turned them on -off as desired:(Red, Green, White...) If that is all you want. Dumb RGB could replace those (less strands to mount and wire up).. Wrapping also still being a simple mounting method 👍

OTOH it may not be NODE efficient. How many of those bulbs faced away from ANY viewer?  See where I am going?  Matrix

1)only put nodes facing the Audience.(90, 180 or 270 degrees of coverage)  2)use a grid or other fixed pattern to make programing them simpler. 3)saves on expensive materials: Strings, Controllers, Power supplies

Yes. I wrapped those fancy enormous columns. Haha but yeah, I could do the whole dumb stuff. But I was thinking of the snow effect, equalizers, etc. lol

There are several ways you can do smart pixels on those columns.  Likely the easiest would be several vertical runs on each columns.  For example, six strings spaced between 1.0 and 1.5 inches apart.  Part of the equation is how much viewing angle do you need.  If people will see them from a very wide angle, you likely want wider coverage, BUT, people way off to one side may only see part of the pixels because of the column blocking the far edge.  That may or may not be an issue depending on sequencing.  You could do it with pixel strips or pixel strings.  Using strips may be very tempting because it would look easy and be very neat.  However, I personally am doing my best to get away from strips as much as possible because they are FAR harder to repair WHEN (not IF) a pixel fails.  If it were me, I would use pixel mounting netting such as this:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/PixNode-Net-RGB-Pixel-Node-Mounting-Net-p/775.htm

Available in various spacing from several sources.  Use square nodes rather than bullet pixels because they will lay against the column far better.

2014_Bottom_of_strip-mounting_detail_1.jBoscoyo_pisel_mount_edge.jpg

Depending on physical layout (a photo would help), you can feed the strings from either the top of the bottom.  The top has the advantage that you avoid wires running between columns as a tripping hazard.  However top may be harder to get to.

That’s exactly what I was thinking... will the square nodes still work on the netting? I can’t post the picture of my house using my phone. But the ride is VERY close. And the viewing would be no more than 60 degrees... I was not looking for a wrap, due to as it went around, the nodes would look dull..... and the 1.5” spacing is really one of the answers I was looking for.... but how many rows should it be? My house is 25-30 feet from the road. But everyone pulls across the street. How many controllers would I need? To run 5 or 6 rows on 6 columns? if I can get a list of what I need, then I can start reading more on how it all works and what I need to do from there. Just need help with what controllers, ( I’m sure the E 1.31,, but, I’m sure I’m gonna need more than 1 controller for the columns.

Part of your question:

KISS.  you have 6 columns. 6 controllers (minimum).  Remember: You are dealing with low voltage (higher current). voltage drop is your ENEMY

You decided on 1.5" How many nodes per vertical row will those  columns need? Pay attention to what you can SEE from normal view points.  You might not need all the way DOWN or all the way UP under the eves.  5V needs power inject after 50 nodes BUT think outside of the box If your feed is in the middle (height ) 50 up, 50 down (2 ports) or a variant; 50 up, 50 back down (100 nodes over 2 rows) and the reverse below center. Apply power (and ground) to both ends. very short power runs and still uses 2 ports, just a bit trickier sequencing 😛

I’m assuming you are saying a pixie4 for each column....  I have been thinking of trying to utilize a pixie16... but.., a controller on each column would eliminate any kind of extensions needed... which would definitely be better.... and I’d like to keep it around 150-200 nodes per column.... just because I had 200 lights wrapped on each column.... so back to what I said, I imagine you are saying to use a pixie4 for each column. If I need to, I could use a pixie 8 on each column. And keep from overloading... 6 pixie 8s over a period of 6 months isn’t too bad! I could manage a column a month. Lol.... whatever it takes 😬🥴

8 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I’m assuming you are saying a pixie4 for each column....  I have been thinking of trying to utilize a pixie16... but.., a controller on each column would eliminate any kind of extensions needed... which would definitely be better.... and I’d like to keep it around 150-200 nodes per column.... just because I had 200 lights wrapped on each column.... so back to what I said, I imagine you are saying to use a pixie4 for each column. If I need to, I could use a pixie 8 on each column. And keep from overloading... 6 pixie 8s over a period of 6 months isn’t too bad! I could manage a column a month. Lol.... whatever it takes 😬🥴

6 strings of 50  does not sound like enough. But you did say 60deg (that is less the 1/4 of the circumference: 90 )  Wrapping and Matrix (net) are so different, that number of nodes don't translate.

We don't have the BIG picture. 6 columns,  how far apart (12V nodes might allow you short runs   P-con-P from a shared controller.   that would be 3 sets BUT we know Murphy says your layout is 3 on either side of the walk 😕

There are pros and cons of each controller-voltage combination.   12V and a Pixie4 (3 ports of 100 and a spare for when you decide to add enough rows for 90degrees). Cons: a Pixie4 running 100 per port can't do some stand alone effects (may never be your issue)  A Pixie 8 allows easy 5V (port per 50) or 2 columns (300/col) of 12V, but you have more cables running between controller-columns

If I did the math right, six strings with 1.5 inch spacing will cover 107 degrees of each column.  In reality a little less because the radius to the pixels is larger than just the column.  As for length, to get a complete coverage of the height of your 8 foot columns with 1.5 inch pixel spacing will take 56 pixels.  If you need full height, that number drops a little.

Yes, the square node pixels will sit quite well against the column - far better than bullet nodes would.  You may find that they lay better with the wires coming out the left and right rather than top and bottom.  With 1.5 inch spacing, you should still be able to have the string layout vertical and there should be enough wire.  If this does not make sense, I can post a couple photos.

As for controllers, going for one controller per column does simplify pixel wiring because of wire length.  Again, part of this depends on your logistics - picture please.  If having wire on the ground between columns would be a tripping hazard, that is something to be avoided if practical.  If you can run between columns at the top without it showing, that can avoid that issue.  All depends on your specific layout.

Wiring length is (as TheDucks said) the enemy of pixels, so the general rule of thumb is a larger number of smaller controllers is better than a small number of large controllers.  This is particularly true if the columns are quite far apart. 

finally got to my computer with the picture on it... here was my layout this year if this helps any. We park to he right of my house and there is a set of steps over there because we park in front of my house. this picture was taken from the white line on the other side of my road.... after seeing this,,,, think i am better with just Dumb RGBs on them. while running pixels for the roof and facia?  I know i need to add more to my "massive front yard" but for first year, I was happy with it.

delete pic.jpg

• The topic was locked