Light-O-Rama Forums

Right side of board not working

Rod Evans

So in the last 2 days I have worked hard on getting my boards ready. I have had a lot of problems and I feel i'm almost ready. The only thing that is wrong now is channels 1-8 don't work on the board that was tripping the gfI. I just put in new fuses and still nothing. The light is on and the ofter channels work when I test them. Any ideas?

Oh the reason it was tripping the GFI was I had a negative on the wrong side!

Did channels 1-8 ever work? If you power it off and swap the fuses from left to right (even though they are new fuses), does the right side still work? The reason I ask is that there may be something on the left side that instantly blows fuses...

Dan

Rod Evans wrote:

I really can't say, I just put a few lights on them when I got it. I switched the fuses and it still is dead on that side.

It is pretty uncommon for an entire side to go out unless it is a power issue. It is possible that power cord on that side is not supplying power. Do you have a meter that you can measure the power on taht side of the card. Power between the neutral block on that side of the card and both sides of the fuse holder.

Dan I took the cord set from the right side and switch it with the left and nothing. I will get my electrician friend to come over and check it out. What do you want him to check.

Just a stupid question on my part. When testing channels 1-8, do you have power to the inlet cord for 9-16, and the status light on the controller lit up?

Rod Evans wrote:

Dan I took the cord set from the right side and switch it with the left and nothing. I will get my electrician friend to come over and check it out. What do you want him to check.

Hi Rod,

With both power cords plugged in he should measure the that there is voltage from the neutral left neutral bank to the left fuse (both sides) and the right neutral bank to the right fuse (both sides) and that there isn't voltage between the Left Neutral and Right Fuse and no voltage between the Right Neutral and Left Fuse...

As mentioned above for channels 1-8 to work properly both sides of the controller have to be powered.

Dan

Go with the checks Dan recommended above. If that checks out, then about the only likely thing it can be is the 74ACT273, which appears to be an extremely uncommon failure.

- Kevin

-klb- wrote:

Go with the checks Dan recommended above. If that checks out, then about the only likely thing it can be is the 74ACT273, which appears to be an extremely uncommon failure.

- Kevin

If this was a kit and 1-8 do not work and you have power connected correctly then I would guess that there is a bad solder connecton on the 74ACT273 or the Processor. One connection is used to control that chip and if that one connection is bad the whole side will not work.

Also.....

The title is "Right Side of board not working"... The right side is channels 9-16 and there has been mention of channels 1-8 (left side) not working.... I probably missed something.

Dan