Light-O-Rama Forums

female network connection on box

vincerules

i was wondering if anyone had setup there pc kits to have a female network connection on the box so that you do not have to keep a long cord sticking out of the box all the time.

any tips or ideas on how people did this, or where to purchase parts.

thanks

Do you mean outside the weatherproof enclosure?

Don't do it, unless you're keeping your boxes inside. I did this my first year or two, and had network reliability issues due to the connections getting wet.

-Tim

hmmm... that is a good point. i am just trying to figure out a way to easily be able to connect the network cable through the box without having a permanent cable sticking out of the box all the time, because of length differences.

vincerules wrote:

hmmm... that is a good point. i am just trying to figure out a way to easily be able to connect the network cable through the box without having a permanent cable sticking out of the box all the time, because of length differences.

Not sure I understand the "permanant cable" thing. I just feed my network cables into the box out in the yard, wrap them around something to give them a little strain relief, and plug them in. Reverse the procedure during tear-down...

EDIT: Just to amplify the strain-relief thing: make sure you do it. I didn't on one of my boxes last year, and during tear-down, two of the 3 comm connectors had ripped off the board and were dangling precariously -- I had obviously tripped over the cable at some point. Not sure if this happened during teardown, or if I got lucky and things still worked... Dan came to the rescue with replacement parts and I've since fixed the board...

-Tim

vincerules wrote:

i was wondering if anyone had setup there pc kits to have a female network connection on the box so that you do not have to keep a long cord sticking out of the box all the time.

any tips or ideas on how people did this, or where to purchase parts.

thanks

See the following Post (about half way down the first page)...

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum84/16819.html

The following is mentioned specifically:

http://www.bizsyscon.com/product.php?wastoproduct=yes&id=1448

Unless you're having water spraying up from underneath your boxes, I'm not sure why just passing the cable through the hole (perhaps with a foam or rubber grommet) isn't sufficient. But I respect those who like to engineer for the worst-case scenario!

-Tim

Water is less of a concern for me than little critters. Amazing what a bug can do when he shorts out your controller board. Not a pretty sight.

schristi69 wrote:

Water is less of a concern for me than little critters. Amazing what a bug can do when he shorts out your controller board. Not a pretty sight.

You should move up here -- not too many "little critters" when it's well below freezing (sometimes well below zero)!

Even so, I use foam gaskets around my "wiring holes" so it would be hard for critters to get inside. These are the same type of gaskets used by the phone/cable company to protect their equipment.

On the other hand, I remember that pic of the person (can't remember who) who destroyed 1/2 a 16-channel controller by having a slug crawl inside!

-Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I remember the SLUG posting. As I recall LOR replace the boad for him didn't they? Not that it was a warrenty issue, I think they just wanted the fried slug board.

-Patrick

Jeff Millard wrote:

There's a couple photos of a snail wrapped around an optocoupler in here somewhere. It gives escargot a very bad name!

Jeff

now thats funny:P. Jeff I am searching for that post, just because of the pictures I saw and want to reread the post. just trying to stop laughing is hard enough...

Neutrik makes a Cat6 system that is IP65 rated... =$$$$

they also have a cat5 setup that is IP54 rated - I have used these at work and they are pretty slick - think rj45 connector in a XLR shell

http://www.neutrik.com/Secure30/getMedia?encoding=ISO-8859-1&client=neutrik&saveAs=true&saveAsName=5%20Data%20Connector%20PG%20V7%202008.pdf&mediaPath=D:DATACLIENTneutrikmediadownloads&mediaSavedName=Media_2008243252.pdf&contentType=application/pdf

It does not stay up year round running 24 x 7. While it would be nice to find a cheap simple solution, I think we HAVE FOUND it. We do it like we have been doing it for so long!

Keep looking though! You find something as cheap and as dependable as we ALREADY have and I will buy it!

Rusty

• 1 month later...

I noticed that on the new PC controller enclosures, they have a separate passthough for the network cables. Since I bought my other 5 controllers at the Jan/Feb inventory reduction sale ... they didn't have this passthrough in them.

So I took my dremel and created two small half circles in the enclosure along the bottom left side, so this lets the cords in and out, but the hold is filled with the cable itself, making it rather watertight ... probably just as much (or more so) than the newer controllers boxes with the new dedicated controller cord pass throughs.