Light-O-Rama Forums

High winds

Wayne K

How many of you are bracing for the high winds in the system moving thru the mid USA? We are suppose to get sustained 30-35 mph with gust to 60 mph tomorrow hear in Northeast Indiana and also 1 1/4" of rain tonight. I went out tonight and pulled some of my props back in and then went and got 40 foot of rebar and made a bunch of 3 foot to 4 foot stakes and staked down a bunch of the blow molds. Hopefully the stuff all stays put and I don't get any damage.

Wayne

Raises hand...

25-35 mph with gusts close to 50 here until 9pm tomorrow night. I lashed down a bunch of items earlier today. Hoping they are wrong, but radar says otherwise. 

Edited by MichRX7

Right there with you guys. I just put up my spiral tree (it looked like today was the only nice day for the next few weeks) and they are calling for gusts of 40 mph. According to physics everything should be fine, but we all know how that works out!

We've got an inch of rain and wind gusts up to 40+ mph in our forecast tonight thru tomorrow.  Hopefully the blow molds in our display manage to stay upright.  Most have heavy landscaping bricks in their bases, and others are staked.  The spiral trees and tomato cage trees are secured to wooden frame bases that are secured to the ground with big landscaping staples.  So hopefully the wind damage is minimal.  Not looking forward to the 5 - 8" of snow forecast for Saturday, with the possibility of up to an additional 3" on Sunday.  😟  

Edited by Speedster

I keep telling myself that a week from Friday I'll be taking my wife, daughter and son-in-law on a cruise in the Caribbean and out of this garbage. Good thing this show runs on a schedule.

8 hours ago, Oliver Blatt said:

Right there with you guys. I just put up my spiral tree (it looked like today was the only nice day for the next few weeks) and they are calling for gusts of 40 mph. According to physics everything should be fine, but we all know how that works out!

I just got up my this year newly designed and less lights 12800 mega tree and then the weather advisory fo 60+ mph winds expected over night. 

What I worried about the most was the new center of gravity and where I put my MT gets flooded due to faulty city storm drains. (last year 2018 problem started). Am worried it will sink in the mud enough to cause problems of some kind.

when I went to bed at 2 am the weather had started getting bad. All night well for the four hours it continued the monsoon type weather.

Just looked out the window and everything is still standing.

Now once it dries I will go inspect my anchors.

Hole every once else pulls through just the same.

JR

Well, the rain has almost completely subsided. Looks like there is a brief drizzle coming in another 1-2 hours, but nothing like we had last night. I slept about as much as @dibblejr. The porch is damp, but the top of my buckets, with power strips inside, and controllers are dry, so I am very thankful for the bucket tips I received in another thread.

Still have a high wind warning until 9pm tonight, so there's still that, but everything is currently up and standing. Letting it all dry out some before I give any more tests. I'll probably put the speakers out tomorrow after everything subsides. I have tallish Sony speakers that I use for outdoor movies and such. I wrap them in plastic before I put them out. I learned a funny lesson on that the first year I did it, if you have a boom tube for bass at the bottom, make sure to cut that hole out. If you don't you'll know it when you hear the bass pushing the plastic wrap out, kind of funny to see it actually bulge to the bass notes. A few seconds with scissors and that is fixed.

Still hoping to go live black friday at 6pm et as scheduled. I can't wait to see everyone else's displays, maybe we should start a 2019 Video thread?

Got up this morning and my pixel tree had a bad pixel in one of the strings. Got that fixed in near 50 mph winds. After getting that done I noticed my 4 x 8 foot matrix had blown off of the house. Luckily it just fell flat on its face and fell on the ground. It is only mounted off of the ground about 6 inches. Looked over at santa and the sleigh and the sleigh was leaning bad and one of the deer had fallen over. Got everything back up and all tested fine. Winds should start to subside after it gets dark. I usually run my lights starting tonight. I just don't tell anyone I do that. Oh, and most of my pixel icicles have blow up onto the roof and are now laying flat on the roof. I will probably get on the roof later and push them off. Fun times for sure

Somewhat glad I procrastinated. Well, not really, new prop building just took a LOT longer than I thought. We're supposed to get that wind starting tonight and throughout tomorrow. Supposed to calm down by Friday so I can get started, but as I noted in another thread, we are expecting rain midday Saturday into Sunday. It will be a race against the weather!

Glad everyone has come through relatively unscathed so far. Good luck to all!

Just looked at my Davis weather station, winds are 15-30 mph, I had a 48 mph gust about 11:00. So far everything still in place. The good thing for me is the wind is out of the West and my house is decorated on the East side. I live in the city, so I am sure it is probably stronger out in the county.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

We had 6+" of snow and 40mph gusts.  So far (knock on wood) I've only had one small prop that the wind knocked over.  Had it staked to the ground but the wind must have hit it just right that it pulled the entire stake right out of the ground!  Of course it doesn't help that the ground hasn't frozen yet.  I was able to put it back up and push a new stake into the ground without any trouble.

Dear bomb cyclone, stop swirling over my house and move on into Canada already. 

Seriously...

y4macy2zwvRW7BeA44or4qfvTK19IK61tIk4iXt_

Edited by MichRX7

3 hours ago, Randy Martin said:

Don't need it here anymore either in Ontario. The rain has subsided now but wind is still blowing.

@Randy Martin, you are due east of me 115 miles (185.07456 km) due east of me. So, expect that wind to continue for some time. They are saying it'll start to subside around 9am here, so probably 9:30 for you at the speed it is going.

It’s still blowing like crazy here with the worst of it coming tomorrow. I just got home from a holiday jaunt with the family and when I last looked outside, everything is still standing. I’ll check again in the morning, and hopefully when I get home from work in the evening, we’ll be good to go with soft opening.

The wind has subsided here in N.E. Indiana. I am showing 6 mph. Now I can put things back in the yard I took down Tuesday night and get ready for the show to run tonight.

Wayne

Wind speeds are down in the single digits here too.  No casualties from yesterday's winds; I just had to straighten a few stars on some spiral trees and pull some icicle light strands off the roof.  Hopefully everyone else is in good shape this morning.

Same here, came out unscathed. Still a few gusts here and there, but nothing like the last two days. I got the sound system hooked up and the FM transmitter tested and ran a full lights on and a couple of sequences to get the sound volume good. I'm ready for lights on tomorrow at 6pm et.

Same here! Just started the first show of the season...minus a few props that are being rebuilt this weekend, we're off!