Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Editor 2.0.16

FBW4

I ask because I am having trouble hitting the right intensity settings on some channels and wanted to make sure that when I set intensity to, say, 58%, I get 148 for DMX. (I guess!)

This is a BRAND new product to me and while I understand DMX having worked in live music production, I am still getting the hang of this device.

When I go on my control board and set the intensities to the numbers I want, my device responds correctly. When I send the same numbers via LOR through my iDMX, it is responding like I am missing the intensities. I know, based on what the laser is doing, what intensities it is getting. It is not what I am intending to send it!

So I was wondering if the contrller was selected like any other controller because that is the only real option I have- and it works- just not quite right.

Also, maybe I am LOR rusty- but I thought I remembered a function to right click or otherwise highlit a cell and check the properties of the cell like the intensity level. it would be nice to right click and see what DMX number would be sent.

Anyway- it is new to me so sorry if I asked something previously answered- if so, I did not find it!

Thanks-
Rusty

FBW4,

Appendix A-LOR/DMX Intensities on page 32 of the iDMX-1000 manual has the value conversion table.

This page is identical to what you will find in the HWU. You can print the page and not have to go back and forth from the HWU to the sequence.

You will see that some DMX values are not possible to convert. To view a value in any given cell, click on the cell, then go to the View Menu and click Cell Info.

I simplified my DMX life by only using values in mulitples of 5. Then I set up a set of dummy values with various durations at the bottom of my sequence.

For example, I have a value of 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, etc. for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, etc. Then I color code the values so that I can instantly recognize them in a sequence. You can use the zoom to better see the 5%-15% values. After you have done about a million , you can tell the difference between 20%, 25%, 30% etc. without having to zoom; especially if you color code them.

Charles

edit:

I just realized you were in Gulfport. Where you there during Katrina/Rita?

Well one of my questions is if you just select LOR Controller for the iDMX? It certainly works by choosing it that way but I wondered if there was a difference in the value that it sent the DMX device. One of the earlier LOR papers on it said you would select LOR DMX Adapter. Not LOR Controller. So anyway.....

Thanks for the help!

Katrina-

I was right here in Gulfport during Katrina- I was dry though all my neighbors were wet. I had four families with me (large house). I am an engineer and a first responder for construction issues. I stay all storms. I have a fortress.
Rita was over towards YOU! I didn't even get rain from Rita.

Thanks-
RUSTY

FBW4 wrote:

Well one of my questions is if you just select LOR Controller for the iDMX? It certainly works by choosing it that way but I wondered if there was a difference in the value that it sent the DMX device. One of the earlier LOR papers on it said you would select LOR DMX Adapter. Not LOR Controller. So anyway.....

Thanks-
RUSTY

Rusty,

Yes, you choose a LOR controller in the Device Type box when selecting an ID for your iDMX-1000. As it pertains to the LOR network, an iDMX-1000 is an LOR controller. It just happens that the iDMX-1000 takes the network RS485 signal and converts it to DMX512.

That has nothing to do with DMX values and that is the only way your iDMX-1000 will work with the network.

What DMX devices/fixtures are you using?

Charles

I have DMX devices including lasers, foggers, bubbles, and spots. But the early info on the iDMX said select LOR DMX in the sequence editor. The book with the iDMX did not even address the sequence editor selection. I chose the LOR controller option. It works- just unpredictably right now. I am afraid the intensity settings on the laser are too tight for LOR. The other stuff works fine. I have 16 other controllers and the iDMX.

Thanks

FBW4 wrote:

I have DMX devices including lasers, foggers, bubbles, and spots. But the early info on the iDMX said select LOR DMX in the sequence editor. The book with the iDMX did not even address the sequence editor selection. I chose the LOR controller option. It works- just unpredictably right now. I am afraid the intensity settings on the laser are too tight for LOR. The other stuff works fine. I have 16 other controllers and the iDMX.

Thanks

FBW4,

This is all a mute point as you have the iDMX-1000 working but, go to page 14 in your iDMX-1000 manual and it states:

"Start the Sequence Editor and create an animation sequence with at least 10 channels. Click the first Channel button and select Light-O-Rama Controller..."

It shouldn't work unpredictably but rather it should work in a limited manner. Because LOR does not yet support native DMX, it can only give the DMX devices/fixtures values in percentages and not every percentage is mapped to a specific DMX value.

Anyway, you have it working so life is good! Print out Appendix A-LOR/DMX Intensities and keep it by your computer as you program. If you need a value that is not mapped well then you can't have it until LOR makes available native DMX value support. They are supposed to offer that this year.

Charles

• The topic was locked