Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB-24D leaves 2 strips on after show

Eric walls

I have a small problem in my CMB-24D and I hope someone can help me.  I have it hooked up to 4 10watt RGB floods, and 3 dumb RGB strips. They all work great during my show, but afterwards 2 of the strips remain on and are light green. They stay there all on night. In the morning I unplug the whole controller to try to reset everything and it does it again the next day.

I double checked my sequences and nothing is on after the show. Could this be a firmware issues?  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Eric

Okay, I did that. Unplugged it and plugged it back on and they go on. Stupid question.... What is a mosfet and how do I fix it?

If you have to ask you should probably send it in to LOR. 

The Mosfet is a device on the circuit board which regulates the output voltage.

It's a soldering job to replace.

If you have soldering skills you can do it yourself. If you open a ticket, they may send you one, otherwise you may have to limp through the season, then send it in.

Are you absolutely sure there isn't a low level green command at the end of the sequence. They can be hard to see in the grid. Hover you mouse till the intensity tooltip shows up. Also make sure turnoff lights at end is checked in show editor.

Ya, I'm sure nothing was left on. I'm using a show director and I didn't have this problem last year. I'd hate to have to send it in because I'm in Oregon and it would probably take a very long time to get it back.

A mosfet is very simple to replace if you have basic soldering skills. Whichever string is affected find the mosfet that controls that color:

CMB24D.thumb.JPG.22a79fbf7f8ef594edb9d35e7b77eecc.JPG

Consider using ferrules when using stranded wire. All it takes is just one of those itty bitty strands to go astray and touch something its not suppose to and you will have a short and blow the mosfet. Also, never mess with the wires while the board is powered on.

Edited by Mr. P

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know a lot about the electronic part of this. I knew enough to attach the pigtails and make them change colors to the time I wanted them on.

I think I can solder. So basically on the back loosen off the old solder, remove the tab or mosfet, insert a new one on and solder that? The ferrule goes on the end to protect the little strands from touching other parts and causing a short? Do those get soldered as well.

Are these parts I can order from LOR or Amazon, or Radio Shack? What type, size, etc?  If I can fix this myself it would be great. I could work on it this weekend. My neighbors really like my little show and all the kids in the neighborhood always come by to see it. I'd like it all to work.  Sorry for my ignorance but I appreciate the help! 

53 minutes ago, Eric walls said:

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know a lot about the electronic part of this. I knew enough to attach the pigtails and make them change colors to the time I wanted them on.

I think I can solder. So basically on the back loosen off the old solder, remove the tab or mosfet, insert a new one on and solder that? The ferrule goes on the end to protect the little strands from touching other parts and causing a short? Do those get soldered as well.

Are these parts I can order from LOR or Amazon, or Radio Shack? What type, size, etc?  If I can fix this myself it would be great. I could work on it this weekend. My neighbors really like my little show and all the kids in the neighborhood always come by to see it. I'd like it all to work.  Sorry for my ignorance but I appreciate the help! 

PRACTICE on a junk board.  It is very easy to lift a trace (even with Pro type tools). Soldering on PCB's is different than soldering wires to lugs

Tools you will need: Temperature regulated soldering iron with a fine chisel tip (interchangeable is even better), Solder wick and/or Solder sucker, small dia. Solder (electronics type, not plumbing)

Think I will just limp through my Halloween show since I already have it set up. Will try to fix it for Christmas.

Where/how to I order the parts?

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

I’m a amateur hack at best. Mr. P helped me last year with the same problem. I ordered new mosfets, only a couple of bucks. I used my old cheap soldering iron, a pair of wire cutters and a few toothpicks. Took maybe 30 minutes.

What worked for me.

1) cut off the old mosfet from the top. (Snip the little metal leg just underneath the black part)

2) heat the connection from the back while pushing from the top with a toothpick. The little piece will just pop out.

3) When all three are removed slide a new mosfet in from the top and and add a tiny drop of solder

4) That’s it!

Thanks again Mr.P!

Sempre Fi,

Robo

• Thanks 1

Would I be correct in the following statement

Mosfet are used on a CMB24D board

Triacs are used on all other standard LOR controllers.

They sure look the same. 

2 minutes ago, lanopie said:

Would I be correct in the following statement

Mosfet are used on a CMB24D board

Triacs are used on all other standard LOR controllers.

They sure look the same. 

If what you mean by standard LOR controller is AC controllers like the CTB16 then yes.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  I did a reset and it seems to be working.  After my Halloween show I'll take it down and test everything. If it doesn't work then I'll replace the parts. Sounds like I may be able to repair it if I have to replace the mosfetts. I didn't want to go in there not knowing what I'm doing.

Love these forums, always get great help!

Eric

10 hours ago, Mr. P said:

If what you mean by standard LOR controller is AC controllers like the CTB16 then yes.

Yes that is what I meant,

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my Halloween lights down and tested the controller. Looks like its the channel 2 and 5 that are giving me problems. I turn the lights on full intensity and it turns off, the other way leaves it on. All the other channels are fine. The Mosfetts even look darker than the others. I'll order some replacements and try to fix it.

• The topic was locked