Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 and non-LOR pixel strips

Bbarton

Is it possible to use Holiday Coro's 6 ft RGB strips with the Pixie 16?  Is it as simple as replacing the pigtail from HC with one from an LOR extension or is there more involved to it than that?  

I want to use 6 strips for arches and the remainder of the lights will be LOR bullet pixels.

I did something similar last year.  I bought the 4 arches and the Alphapix  kit from HolidayCoro, and then changed from S4 to S5 while trying to fit them into the show between Halloween and Christmas.  Since I was already stressed out by the software change, adding on DMX was just too much.  In the end, it was  just easier for me to swap the Alphapix with a Pixie 4 (very similar size and power requirements), using the HolidayCoro enclosure and pigtails.  Works like a champ.  You can see it at Woodlea Hills Lights on Facebook.

You can use any pixel type that the Pixie supports. LOR current pixels are WS2811 so as long as the HC pixels are WS2811 then you will be fine. The pixie can only use one IC type for the entire board at a time.

Edited by Mr. P

My 12V HC pixels work on a Pixie. LOR Dongle?  You had LOR Pixels before?

I would avoid cutting if possible as it voids the warranty. HC pigtails/extensions are reasonably priced

FWIW I double lugged some of my Dumb (CMB24) RGB so I had  both LOR (10W floods) and HC dumb on a couple of ports of each controller

The pixels I am wanting to get from HC have an "Easy Plug 3" on them instead of the LOR plug.  When I asked HC about the compatibility, they suggested I get their female pigtail which has a connector on one end and 3 wires on the other end that would connect directly to the pixie board (I assume).

I was hoping I could leave the pixie board alone and just change out the connector and use one from an extra LOR extension that I had already.

Sorry!  I hope that makes sense.   

Thanks for all the help!

9 minutes ago, Bbarton said:

The pixels I am wanting to get from HC have an "Easy Plug 3" on them instead of the LOR plug.  When I asked HC about the compatibility, they suggested I get their female pigtail which has a connector on one end and 3 wires on the other end that would connect directly to the pixie board (I assume).

I was hoping I could leave the pixie board alone and just change out the connector and use one from an extra LOR extension that I had already.

Sorry!  I hope that makes sense.   

Thanks for all the help!

Sure you can, you can use any three wire plug you wish. just make sure you get the Pos, Neg and data wires correct.

Tip: pick one vendor for plugs and always stay with them as there is no standard and most of them are not compatible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bbarton said:

Is it possible to use Holiday Coro's 6 ft RGB strips with the Pixie 16?  Is it as simple as replacing the pigtail from HC with one from an LOR extension or is there more involved to it than that?  

I want to use 6 strips for arches and the remainder of the lights will be LOR bullet pixels.

I sent you a PM

Changing the LOR pigtails is a simple process. If you have the prebuilt pixie16 you will need to go to Lowe’s or HD and get some larger cable straps to replace the smaller ones used on the white cables.

Look in the bins, they are normally white.

If I find the bag I will send you a part number.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Sure you can, you can use any three wire plug you wish. just make sure you get the Pos, Neg and data wires correct.

Tip: pick one vendor for plugs and always stay with them as there is no standard and most of them are not compatible. 

Yes, the connectors were the biggest waste of money. I used Ray for several builds and then he changed Mfg’s. This was before LOR would sell them with the pixies

I started using HC extension cables as my pigtails and soldering the opposite end to the pixel strips or nodes.

That can be seen on one of my build videos.

No purchased pigtails needed for that.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked