Light-O-Rama Forums

WARNING TEXT IN MINI LIGHTS

barbosaa

Hello i read the text in one box mini light say "this product contains lead, a chemical known to the state california to cause cancer and birth defects reproductive harm do not place hand in your mouth after handing the product do not place the product in your mouth wash your hands after handing this product"

Is it dangerous?

Thanks

Attached files 158092=9162-mini.JPG

Its my understanding that the amounts of lead present are only dangerous in situation like very small children chewing on the insulation.
but where there is a danger, there must be a warning.

In a CDC report (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm), a patient experienced lead intoxication from the practice of chewing on plastic insulation stripped from electrical wires. The editor notes:

Lead compounds may be employed in the production of colored plastics (in which lead chromates are used as pigment) and in the manufacture of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastics (in which 2%-5% lead salts {including lead oxides, phthalate, sulfate, or carbonate, depending on the desired quality of the final product} are used as stabilizers). Although environmental regulation has reduced considerably the amount of lead used in the United States in the manufacture of PVC plastics, manufacturers of electrical wire and cable continue to produce PVC stabilized and/or pigmented with lead compounds.

Everything is known to the State of California to cause cancer. I just think that they don't want anybody else to move there and are trying to frighten everyone away.:P

barbosaa wrote:

Hello i read the text in one box mini light say "this product contains lead, a chemical known to the state california to cause cancer and birth defects reproductive harm do not place hand in your mouth after handing the product do not place the product in your mouth wash your hands after handing this product"

Is it dangerous?

Thanks

My butt contains a lot of lead and I am still living :P

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

The real reason all of these products are found to be dangerous in lab tests is that cancer is hereditary in white mice.

"lmao"

Denny wrote:

Everything is known to the State of California to cause cancer. I just think that they don't want anybody else to move there and are trying to frighten everyone away.:)

FWIW, I routinely attempt to insure that anything the "State of California" thinks is exactly the opposite of what I do.

Before I retired, I had to do a business trip to San Francisco and stayed in a hotel in town. They had one of those raised metal plaques, the type used on a building's corner stone, that said, "Warning, this hotel contains materials known to the State of California......." Really instills a sense of well-being staying in a hotel. Good for the tourist industry!

Cali's a crazy place. Just saw this on Fark:

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed a bill that would have warned consumers about the dangers of releasing helium-filled metallic balloons. Democratic Sen. Jack Scott of Altadena originally wanted an outright ban on the balloons.

Article here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/29/state/n124221D73.DTL
-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Cali's a crazy place. Just saw this on Fark:

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed a bill that would have warned consumers about the dangers of releasing helium-filled metallic balloons. Democratic Sen. Jack Scott of Altadena originally wanted an outright ban on the balloons.

Article here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/29/state/n124221D73.DTL
-Tim

HAHA!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that children are at far higher risk of lead poisoning than adults. Not just because they are more likely to chew on things, but also because their neurological system is still growing, and more easily damaged by lead than an adults.

Also, the only meaningful way to absorb the lead is by ingestion, so if kids are around, I'd recommend not setting any example of holding light strings in your mouth, or pulling lights using your teeth, and suggest that kids should wash their hands before eating. Thankfully, I don't have kids around, because I do sometimes use my teeth on stubborn lamps, and have used my mouth as a third hand on light strings.. But I do still wash my hands well when I am done for the day, or when I take a food break..

Bottom line, I don't consider it to be any significant risk, but especially with kids, it can't hurt to take some basic precautions..

- Kevin