Light-O-Rama Forums

Check out these enclosures I got today for 50 cents each!

Seth Hartley

I am new to LOR, just started putting the cords on my first board last night. I have been thinking about finding the enclosures... and I go to a garage sale today and find these. They are huge! 20 in w by 24 in h by 12 in deep. And they weigh about 65 lbs! Much harder for someone to walk off with! The inside white part is a separate layer of metal (so it's like a box within a box) they are spot welded together on the outside so that seam would have to be caulked or covered somehow the little window is plexiglass and not sealed. The door closes around a lip, so even if water got in that crack around the door, it would run down around the lip and back out the bottom of the door... but I'm thinking thick rubber weatherstripping around the inside of the door

I want to know what you guys and gals all think:

If the screw holes are sealed with bondo or JB Weld and the little window was caulked, do you think this would make a could weather proof enclosure?

I think I could fit at least 8 LOR boards in one of these, but would the heat be a problem?

The holes in the bottom are perfect for the cords, but how do you keep the holes from letting in snow, since rain can't run UP that shouldn't be a problem, but snow could... Silicone? There is no strain relief here either... that worries me...

I think I found GREAT deals here and I love building stuff from scratch, but I definitely want to know everyone's thoughts and suggestions so I don't make and mistakes...

Attached files 157889=9144-enclosures 001.jpg

are there actually holes in the box - besides the bottom and the window? Usually Hoffman boxes are rated for outdoor use

the backplane will make mounting controllers very easy

well.... I took the back plates out, but I could easily put them back, and yes there are 8 holes 4 on each side that actually go all the way through both layers of metal...
I just picked up some rubber washers, those should work fine...

Instead of using those back plates I thought of using REALLY short self tapping screws that would only go through one layer... I don't know...