Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Singing Christmas Trees

airborneSRT

The summer sale is here and I was thinking of buying 1 or 2 singing trees for my display. Will they work with my Showtime Central setup? I didn't see it in the controller setup on the website. Reason I ask is that they are pixels, and I don't have any other pixels. Or do I just get another controller and blank trees and plug my own lights in? Thanks in advance

There are several factors you would need to look at. It doesn't state what controller but since the faces use 200 pixels I am going to say a Pixie2 with two 100 count strings. The Pixie2 controller would use two Unit IDs. If it is a bigger controller (Pixie4) then it would use more Unit IDs. Your Basic Plus license limits you on what you can add due to limited IDs and as always when it comes to pixels I always recommend a Pro license as a Pro license is required for ELOR.

It says the CCC-II Pixel controller, I haven't looked into Pixels so I don't know how the channel layout is or how many channels. So basically you are saying that I can't just give it unit ID3, sequence it in, and have it control a tree?

10 minutes ago, airborneSRT said:

It says the CCC-II Pixel controller, I haven't looked into Pixels so I don't know how the channel layout is or how many channels. So basically you are saying that I can't just give it unit ID3, sequence it in, and have it control a tree?

That controller would use two IDs so if you gave it ID3 it would use 3 and 4. Also with the faces being 200 pixels they would use 600 channels, three channels per pixel. The Pixie series controllers are suppose to work on a standard network but most have had trouble with that and use ELOR which alleviates most speed issues but it also requires a Pro license.

18 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

That controller would use two IDs so if you gave it ID3 it would use 3 and 4. Also with the faces being 200 pixels they would use 600 channels, three channels per pixel. The Pixie series controllers are suppose to work on a standard network but most have had trouble with that and use ELOR which alleviates most speed issues but it also requires a Pro license.

ok thank you very much, I'm gonna being looking at alternate means for singing trees. I am not ready for Pixel/Pro licence upgrade yet. Appreciate the knowledge!

42 minutes ago, airborneSRT said:

ok thank you very much, I'm gonna being looking at alternate means for singing trees. I am not ready for Pixel/Pro licence upgrade yet. Appreciate the knowledge!

Singing faces can be purchased at many places and if you use standard store bought leds and a CTB16PC controller you would onlyuse one Unit ID.

A second option if you are wanting to change colors is LORs CMB24D with some dumb RGB lights. This controller only use one ID and you would be able to change colors. It also doesn't need a high speed network.

Honestly, I wouldn't use pixels on a face. My choice would be the CMB24D and dumb RGB lights.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Singing faces can be purchased at many places and if you use standard store bought leds and a CTB16PC controller you would onlyuse one Unit ID.

A second option if you are wanting to change colors is LORs CMB24D with some dumb RGB lights. This controller only use one ID and you would be able to change colors. It also doesn't need a high speed network.

The only problem for me is that I haven't done my research enough to be comfortable in building a controller. If there was one already built that would be awesome, but the CMB24D is just the card, not the whole thing. Maybe in the future I could tinker about a bit.

2 minutes ago, airborneSRT said:

The only problem for me is that I haven't done my research enough to be comfortable in building a controller. If there was one already built that would be awesome, but the CMB24D is just the card, not the whole thing. Maybe in the future I could tinker about a bit.

The CMB24D is a very simple controller to build. All you need is the card, a box and a power supply and cord. You can literally put it together in 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

The CMB24D is a very simple controller to build. All you need is the card, a box and a power supply and cord. You can literally put it together in 15 minutes.

Yep, I posted videos in my pixie16 setup thread. Though its not a pixie16 and taking into consideration I was recording with one hand I built the pixie16 in 22 minutes. OP- of course this is something I have done a bunch of times but that thread will show you what parts you will need to purchase. Other than the board size there is really no difference when building the pixel controllers.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Well if you put it that way, ill have to look into it.!

31 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yep, I posted videos in my pixie16 setup thread. Though its not a pixie16 and taking into consideration I was recording with one hand I built the pixie16 in 22 minutes. OP- of course this is something I have done a bunch of times but that thread will show you what parts you will need to purchase. Other than the board size there is really no difference when building the pixel controllers.

JR

I read through your post on the pixie16 controller setup and it doesn't mention the CMB24D. I could just be dimwitted. My work blocks youtube, so I have to wait til i get home to see your video. Does LOR site have all the parts needed to make a 24 controller?

Just now, airborneSRT said:

I read through your post on the pixie16 controller setup and it doesn't mention the CMB24D. I could just be dimwitted. My work blocks youtube, so I have to wait til i get home to see your video. Does LOR site have all the parts needed to make a 24 controller?

My thread includes links to videos building a pixie16 which is virtually going to be the same as any rgb controller build. LOR does not sell everything required to build the controllers so I provide the info that I use to build them.

They are not youtube videos, they are vimeo.

JR

Singing Trees are pixel based with two 100-pixel strings. You could program them that way, but that is very inconvenient because programming each tree would be different, and it would be time consuming to manipulate 200 pixels.

The Pixie controllers have a 'tree' option in the configuration. The trees have names; Zuzu, Elden, Felix, & Ralphie. You configure the 'tree' option. Then the first 8 pixels (24 channels) of the first unit ID controls the face. Pixel 1 is the outline of the tree, Pixel 2 is the topper, Pixel 3 is eyes closed, Pixel 4 is eyes open, Pixel 5 is mouth closed, Pixel 6 is mouth half open, Pixel 7 is mouth full open, & Pixel 8 is mouth O.

You can still use the full range of colors/intensities, the programming is consistent across faces, and much simpler than manipulating the individual pixels.

You can only have 1 singing tree on a CCCII (Pixie2), ..., and 8 singing trees on a Pixie16.

I just noticed that LOR now has the trees with a 'Custom Dual Mode Pixel controller' to make simple 8 channel RGB mode. Does this work with the regular controllers? Does it mean that it is actually 24 channels? or 8 channels on a controller that I can change the colors throughout? In the long run it looks like its cheaper to run a tree this way (after buying all the LED light strings). I placed an order for a 16 channel controller and then I bought the tree on a Coroplast sheet, now I just have to plug the lights in and use just 8 channels.

8 minutes ago, airborneSRT said:

I just noticed that LOR now has the trees with a 'Custom Dual Mode Pixel controller' to make simple 8 channel RGB mode. Does this work with the regular controllers? Does it mean that it is actually 24 channels? or 8 channels on a controller that I can change the colors throughout? In the long run it looks like its cheaper to run a tree this way (after buying all the LED light strings). I placed an order for a 16 channel controller and then I bought the tree on a Coroplast sheet, now I just have to plug the lights in and use just 8 channels.

Actually its a little more in depth and work than that. They are only 7 channels each. It will not work with regular AC controllers, they are RGB. 

Normal regular LED/ Incan bulbs work with the AC 16 channel controllers.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

ah yea that's right, completely forgot about the whole AC lights DC lights thing! I'll just stick to my AC LED's then.

• 2 months later...

I like Elden's looks!  Of the four, my wife thinks I look like Elden, weird. The idea of having the images any color buy using the CCP2 pixels sounds great.  Where are the videos of Elden in action?  So I need to match an 'Elden MotionPak'  to a sequenced song I already use, copy and paste it in, then I need to configure in HU advanced screen, the Elden choice, so the CCP2 works correctly? When you buy a MotionPak is it specific to Elden? 

• The topic was locked