Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC

Denny

I finally got around to building my CTB16PC kits from the sale. These new units will be used to control LEDs, so I did not order the heavy duty heat sinks, figuring that the supplied heat sinks will be sufficient. When I got to the install heat sink step, I had this "brilliant" idea (very dangerous thing for me).

Since I have the heavy duty heat sinks on all my other controllers and all these Light Duty Heat Sinks are laying around from the other kits, I wondered if I could sandwich two Light Duty Heat Sinks together, with heat sink paste between them.

Even though these controllers will be used for LEDs and no where near the amperage limitations for the controllers, would doubling up the heat sinks give an extra degree of protection since the heat sink would be twice the thickness or would it actually retain heat and not dissipate it?

If you orientated the heat sinks the same way then it would not make much of a difference. Surface area would be about the same. However if you have the heat sinks orientated in opposite directions then you would effectively increase the area by about 50% and get about the same improvement in cooling.