Light-O-Rama Forums

PC not finding Controller

Flashbulb

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I updated to S2 (2.0.16) and have been sequencing like a champ. Tonight I decided to get out one of my controllers, my USB to 485 converter (aka little black box), needed cables, and a couple lit pumpkins. So I haul all this stuff into my home office and think I'm just gonna fire it up. I plugged in usb cable between PC and little black box. Then plugged CAT 5 cable from little black box to controller(CTB16PC V1). I then plugged in power cords for controller. Red light on controller is flashing. I opened up hardware utility and tried to first Select Com port using Auto Configure. It was not able to find Light O Rama connected and told me make sure all is connected/powered on. My controllers have not been used since Jan using LOR 1 AKA S1. What step am I missing ? No new firmware yet right? My 3 year old is itching to see the pumpkins dance/sing.

Autoconfigure may not find it. I've had that happen before. What ports are listed in the "Manual Select" drown-down list? Did you try selecting them one at a time and clicking "Refresh" ?

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Autoconfigure may not find it. I've had that happen before. What ports are listed in the "Manual Select" drown-down list? Did you try selecting them one at a time and clicking "Refresh" ?

Only COM 1 is listed on the drop down. I did try selecting it but no luck with that.

I installed drivers for the USB device last year for the 07 Christmas show. Do I need to reinstall them now that I've upgraded to S2? I use two computers for my show. My desktop for the hours of sequencing and my old laptop for running the show. I have not upgraded the laptop yet. I thought I'd work on getting my desktop up to speed first. Thanks for the speedy response, you guys are great as always.

Double check that the USB adapter is working.. Test it on your show machine which has not been changed.

If it is working on the show machine then it sounds like something may have changed on your other machine. Installing S2 has no effect on the USB drivers so something else is going on. You can use the attached trouble shooting guide to remove and reinstall the USB drivers. I think it is on pages 8 thru 10.....

If the USB adapter does not work on the show machine then perhaps it has failed. In that case send an email to support@lightorama.com

Dan

Attached files RS485_Adapter_Troubleshooting.pdf

No luck tonight. I can't seem to recognize the USB adapter after the upgrade on my desktop. I pulled out my laptop that I run my show with and it worked fine. Its still using LOR 1 but at least I know the cables and USB adapter are in working order. I went as far as going to ADD/Remove programs and uninstalled the drivers. Now I can't seem to get them reinstalled. I have the USB device UNPLUGGED. I went to LOR/support/View(software upgrades)/scrolled down to XP install and tried the first option. After that installed I plugged in the USB device but the install wizard would not start up. So then I tried the same thing with the second option. That didn't help either. I know I must be just missing a step but its late so i'm going to sleep on it tonight.

Thanks Dan I'm up and running now. After a couple uninstalls the second driver link worked for me. I tried that link before but I don't think I had removed the first driver before installing the second. I'm gonna update my laptop tonight to S2 so hope it goes smooth.