Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie Firmware

Vince4xmas

Looking for a hardware config setting to set max pixel intensity on pixie4. Does newest firmware have this function?

2 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

Looking for a hardware config setting to set max pixel intensity on pixie4. Does newest firmware have this function?

HU- config tab

Set intensity in HU or SS/ SE

JR

1 minute ago, Vince4xmas said:

So you CAN change maximum intensity of a Pixie4 in HU?

Yes

Open HU

Find the device

Click "Config"

Middle of screen

"Max Intensity"

JR

You actually set the intensity range, upper and lower in the HU and the actual intensity you want in SE. You can use the HU setting as a steady intensity by putting the upper at 50% and lower at 50% but that sets the intensity for the entire card for every sequence. If you use the intensity setting in the SE then you can change the intensity for each sequence.

All I want to do is set the maximum intensity to 30-40% as my pixels are too bright and to help

with reducing power so I dont need to power inject. So I would set min to 0 and max to 30/40 in HU from what it sounds like.

I am using S5.

I will hookup my pixie4 and see if I can make the suggested change. I thought I tried this earlier and the device would not take the change.

This is why I am asking if I need to upgrade firmware to newest version (1.04 I believe).

Thanks

46 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You actually set the intensity range, upper and lower in the HU and the actual intensity you want in SE. You can use the HU setting as a steady intensity by putting the upper at 50% and lower at 50% but that sets the intensity for the entire card for every sequence. If you use the intensity setting in the SE then you can change the intensity for each sequence.

If I'm understanding what Vince is looking for, this is not it.  I think he is looking for a scale setting that almost every other pixel controller has.  The situation goes something like this.  You spent all year sequencing your new prop and the first time you power it up, it's WAY too bright.  You need to scale all lighting commands to 50% for example.  This is NOT the same as putting a cap on intensity.  You should not need to re-sequence dozens of sequences because a new prop is too bright.  Almost all other pixel controllers have some variation of this capability.

Correct Jim. My LOR Pixcon16 has a place in the hardware setup I can set a maximum intensity value for each channel and I have that set at 40%.

Works great for Pixcon16.

I want to do the same thing on my Pixie controllers. But do not see a spot in HU to make this change.

5 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

If I'm understanding what Vince is looking for, this is not it.  I think he is looking for a scale setting that almost every other pixel controller has.  The situation goes something like this.  You spent all year sequencing your new prop and the first time you power it up, it's WAY too bright.  You need to scale all lighting commands to 50% for example.  This is NOT the same as putting a cap on intensity.  You should not need to re-sequence dozens of sequences because a new prop is too bright.  Almost all other pixel controllers have some variation of this capability.

If adjusting the sequence the only way that has been successful for me is in SS.

The Pixie being more affordable does not offer any other way, after you set the values in HU

Maybe since S5 has SS integrated it will be different but SS is the only way that works in S4

JR

4 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Correct Jim. My LOR Pixcon16 has a place in the hardware setup I can set a maximum intensity value for each channel and I have that set at 40%.

Works great for Pixcon16.

I want to do the same thing on my Pixie controllers. But do not see a spot in HU to make this change.

Only Pixcon will allow this, that's the trade off when buying a more economical controller. Easiest way other than re sequencing is in SS for us S4 users.

JR

Looks like I am hosed then!

How is this done when sequencing? Can I limit intensity for just the props wired to my Pixie controllers? 

What about "dimming curves"? Can setting a dimming curve on an individual prop accomplish what I am trying to do.

I am using S5.

Thanks

43 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

That is what I was trying to explain. The Pixie's only allow you to set a max intensity for the entire controller and not per port or prop. If you want a prop that is on port 1 to be 50% and a prop on port 2 to be 100% then you can't set the intensity in the HU as that would apply to the entire controller.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

That is what I was trying to explain. The Pixie's only allow you to set a max intensity for the entire controller and not per port or prop. If you want a prop that is on port 1 to be 50% and a prop on port 2 to be 100% then you can't set the intensity in the HU as that would apply to the entire controller.

Setting the entirety of the controller in one setting is less of an issue since in the pixel world, props often don't share controllers.  However, a max cap of intensity is NOT the same as a scale of intensity, and as far as I'm concerned, is almost worthless.

39 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

Looks like I am hosed then!

How is this done when sequencing? Can I limit intensity for just the props wired to my Pixie controllers? 

What about "dimming curves"? Can setting a dimming curve on an individual prop accomplish what I am trying to do.

I am using S5.

Thanks

In S4 you can so I imagine you can in S5. The problem with S5 is not being able to open the RGB channels so not sue if it will affect the ability to lower intensity.

as mentioned before the fastest way for me was in SS but I know not everyone has it and would do no good without the sup file

JR

S4 vs S5 is not the big difference.  Spending potentially hundreds of hours of sequencing time vs 10 seconds to set a intensity scale function in the controller is the difference.  This is about as basic as color order of pixels.  You ALWAYS use the controller to set color order of your pixels and NOT altering your sequencing just because the pixels you bought were GBR and not RGB color order.

21 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

S4 vs S5 is not the big difference.  Spending potentially hundreds of hours of sequencing time vs 10 seconds to set a intensity scale function in the controller is the difference.  This is about as basic as color order of pixels.  You ALWAYS use the controller to set color order of your pixels and NOT altering your sequencing just because the pixels you bought were GBR and not RGB color order.

Color order is about all we get with pixies.

But they are much easier to set up and integrate into the LOR networks.

Thats always been the known fact and Vince’s question has been asked time and time again.

If we want control we have to get a pixcon in which I am awaiting one from another member that had issues with. If it works I’m gonna try to make another easy LOR network video. 

Not getting into the e1-31 DMX networks.

There are still a lot of missing functions in S5 which is a non starter for some of us.

JR

In S4, just for the exercise, I just scaled the intensity of an entire sequence containing dumb RGB , Pixels and AC by 20%. 

Select first cell of all rows, right click, Select rows, Right click, Change Intensities, select the desired colors and/or non rgb, select Scale, and 20% and Apply.

Took about 20 seconds for the software to execute the change. 

I don't know if S5 can do this or not, but it should. Change intensity is  a powerful tool that can be applied to any part or all of a sequence.

Exactly in S4

Since fade ramps are not avail in S5 I’m not sure if it works.

I think Matt and crew are trying to add the fade ramps back in the next update but don’t quote me on it.

That was discussed a few weeks ago

JR